Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SNEAKY SPRING

Mr. Bee leads the way.

I was headed out to the laundry room yesterday when I suddenly caught the faintest whiff of something delightfully, well, honeyish.  I paused in my tracks, thinking "Hmmm, this is familiar, and I think it indicates something important, but I don't quite remember what..."  Then a buzzing brown blur whizzed past me, landing on the boxwood shrub to my left.  Oh yeah, that's what it means.  It's SPRING!
Boxwood Blooms

Spring always catches me off guard here in the Texas Hill Country.  It was just a couple of weeks ago that we were finally coming to grips with winter: our first serious deep freeze predicted; first reports of burst pipes; first snow, etc.  Then, last week, I read a post on facebook from a gardening friend, and found myself thinking "Whoa!  You mean to tell me I should have started sprouting seed potatoes weeks ago, and they should have been in the ground by Valentines?  How can I possibly be so far behind on my gardening chores?  It can't be spring already!"  Mr. Bee begs to differ.
Agarita buds, ready to burst.


If the Boxwood is blooming, then the Agarita can't be far behind, with an even headier honey scent, and we know what that means, don't we boys and girls?  It's almost Grape Koolaid Season! (the delicious scent you get when our native Texas Mountain Laurel blooms, all over the Hill Country)

Oh my gosh, I'm soooooo far behind on what needs to be done in the garden before then!

3 comments:

musingegret said...

Oh goodness gracious HCH....it was such a joy to read this post. Now that I've started working fulltime, yours is only one of four blogs that I check religiously at night (or morning!)

Yes, spring seems to be here in the Hill Country and we're still trying to catch up. I haven't planted my jalapeno seeds that I've been drying/saving all winter.

Better get them germinating tomorrow! Potatoes? Never even considered them....Please keep us apprised of the SPRING CANTINA GARDEN.

The pics are great!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Via Facebook:
#
Jean Ohm That is exactly the way I feel...so much to do!
Tuesday at 9:06am · LikeUnlike
#
Dani Thomas Can't wait for a good case of spring fever. Much better than flu season.
Tuesday at 9:34am · LikeUnlike
#
Priscilla Lane Okay--now we northerners just have to HATE you!
Tuesday at 2:37pm · LikeUnlike
#
Becky Thomas Lane I'm sure you'll get your revenge come summer.
18 hours ago · LikeUnlike
#
Priscilla Lane Oh, yeah :-) It's one of the trade-offs.
17 hours ago · Like

Hill Country Hippie said...

ME: Full-time huh? No wonder we don't hear quite as much from you these days! So glad you still make time to stop by.