Thursday, December 16, 2010

CHASING THE NIGHT AWAY




I witnessed the strangest phenomenon this morning. I was expecting it to be rather chilly out, so I went to my indoor nest on the dining porch, and opened the window just enough to hear the sounds of the world waking up. It was surprisingly balmy out, however, so I threw it wide open. The cloud cover was so solid, I couldn't see a single star.

Around 6:45 John's wind chimes suddenly began clanging up a storm. A few moments later, it was as if a couple of stage hands had grabbed hold of a massively heavy curtain from its left end, and were slowly trudging it across the stage, revealing a perfectly clear, sunny backdrop as they went. At one point they grew weary, and had to pause for breath. That's when I noticed that, if I looked out the windows to my left, it was broad daylight with scarcely a cloud in the sky, though the temps were suddenly much cooler. When I looked out the windows directly in front of me, however, it was still dark as night, with a solid blanket of clouds. So, in essence, a cool front blew in, and literally chased the night away.

3 comments:

musingegret said...

Now **that** is an evocative and beautifully written description of a natural event. It's not the same weather change but it reminds me of the vividness of a lightning storm my folks and I once saw driving back from Brenham to Houston. We still talk about it years later because none of us had ever seen such brilliant displays of horizontal, jaggedy strikes across the sky.

Goodness knows we could use some storm/rain activity right now. I find myself cutting back on wasteful water usage automatically now (i.e. no running water to thaw the frozen shrimp, no water running while I de-vein them, throw the bowl of used water out on the grass.) The habits of 2 years ago come back into play easily!

Hill Country Hippie said...

We've seen some amazing electrical storms from this perch as well, and yes, this lack of rain is making me rather nervous. I'm running out to check the level on the rain tank every other day. Still more than half a tank, thankfully, but there's fixing to be a lot more people hanging about and taking showers.

musingegret said...

Better teach 'em the drill: Wet down, water off, soap up, water on, rinse quickly. I learned that traveling around in my folks' RV.

Have a great trip!