Wednesday, November 3, 2010

GOOD LIFE HEALTH AND FITNESS: QUALITY VS. QUANTITY


"When you learn to replace the junk with goodies that truly satisfy, you will learn that the rule of 'Less is more' is no cop-out. By then you'll discover what is obvious to French women: There can be an almost ecstatic enjoyment in a single piece of fine dark chocolate that a dozen Snickers bars can never give you." ~ Mireille Guiliano, French Women Don't Get Fat

Have you noticed how huge bagels have grown over the years? I'm not talking about the tasteless grocery store kind. I'm talking about a really delicious one, fresh from the oven of a good bagel shop. Of course, there are no bagel shops in Wimberley, so one of my very favorite things to do when in Houston is to sneak out of the house while everyone else is still asleep, grab the Sunday paper, and head to Einstein's. I've been doing this for quite a few years now, and somewhere along the way, I found myself thinking "This is a ginormous bagel, and all the goodies and flavor are in the top half. So why am I bothering with the bottom half?" That was the beginning of Good Life H&F Step #2: Allow yourself to indulge in those delicious things that you truly desire, in small amounts, upon occasion. But! Never allow yourself to indulge in mediocre stuff that you don't truly want, just because it's there in front of you.

Because I am such a slow eater, that half of a bagel can last me a really long time - plenty of time for the message that I am actually full to reach my brain. Which led me to Step #3: Be the slowest eater in the room! I love to people watch. I love to eavesdrop. I love to linger over a meal with good friends and conversation. When I do these things, I am inevetably the last one to finish eating, and more often than not, I give up half-way through my meal because I'm too full--which is why I am always grateful when someone is willing to split a meal with me. When John and I went to Beck's Prime for one of their yummy char-grilled hickory burgers last weekend, we split one burger basket, with fries! However, I spent a good bit of time rooting around in the basket, trying to uncover those tiny crunchy bits that always gravitate to the bottom of the basket. I love those things! I couldn't care less about the big fat limp fries, sooo, I don't eat them anymore. I can make a single chicken fajita taco at Mima's last for a good 45 minutes, while most people around me have polished off 2 or 3 in about 5 minutes flat! In the newspaper interview that I mentioned yesterday, they asked Guiliano if she really told Oprah that she ate like a robot. She admitted it. "She told me she had eaten a croissant and wanted six more. That's because she ate too fast. The brain needs 20 minutes to tell you you've had enough food. That's why you have to eat slowly. Don't sit at your desk. Sit at a cafe. And enjoy!"

P.S. Many thanks to 1800recycling.com for the image above.

No comments: