Friday, October 8, 2010

RUSH HOUR


You wouldn't believe the traffic where I live. No, seriously. You would not believe it! Take Wednesday, for example. As usual, I spent way too much time on the computer that morning, so I was scurrying to get into town to do my workout and some laundry. I had just reached the low water crossing leading out of our neighborhood, the one that is still half-blocked due to flood damage, when I realized that a turtle was trying to cross it. Since there wasn't room for me to go around him, I had no choice but to sit and wait. Do you have any idea how long it takes a turtle to cross the road?

When I returned a couple of hours later, the crossing was clear, but I had to slam on the breaks when I reached the bottom of my uber-long, uber-steep, ziggy-zaggy driveway, for a squirrel was in the way. Did he run off into the grass when he realized a big ol' monster was right on his tail? No, he just scampered a few feet further up the driveway, then stopped. So, I had to ease off the brakes and roll right up to his butt. Did he get the message this time? No, he did not. He moved a few feet further up the driveway, and stopped. Again. And thus it continued, all the way up the world's longest friggin' driveway!

Still, I guess this beats my former commute down I-10 in Houston all to pieces, huh? At least these tears are tears of laughter!

P.S. Many thanks to monmouthdailyphoto.wordpress.com for the image above.

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Hilarious! I got a good giggle from this report. Sounds like that squirrel was just playin' with you. ;-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Come to think of it, he did flip his tail up at me once, in a very insulting manner!