Sunday, August 22, 2010

MY NEW FAVORITE SANDWICH




I knew I was going to like the new Cypress Creek Cafe before I ever took a bite. No, it wasn't the beautiful copper paneling behind the bar that did it. No, it wasn't the cute chalkboard bathroom stalls that announce who's playing in the bar. Nor was it the fact that their hamburger was just the right size for one person, fitting easily into my hands and mouth, comes with a choice of regular or sweet potato fries, and is just one of the options to be had on their reasonably priced lunch specials that even include the beverage. It wasn't even the fact that our waitress turned out to be Sharon, one of our favorites from the now defunct Juan Henry's, and who had remembered us from our time back in Midland. So what was it you ask? It was that chicken sandwich there in my daughter's hands. Why? Because they named it after me! It's called the Hill Country Hippie!

9 comments:

d.a. said...

Where was this? Looks kinda like the Cypress Creek Cafe... and ooooh! Sweet potato fries!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Tee Hee! I can't believe I never mentioned the name of the place. Guess I better make a correction!

K. Thomas said...

Next time ask for the curry aioli to dip the sweet potato fries in. Also try the sangria, yum.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I saw that aioli listed with the appetizer version, and said "We've got to bring Austin back here for that!" Our son loves anything with curry in it.

Anonymous said...

Looks scrumptious and I do love the name of the sandwich. You've been immortalized!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

HOORAY Hill Country Hippie-A sandwich named after YOU! What an honor. I love it and I adore your blog, which I connected to through my friend at Deborah Jean's Dandelion Wishes. She and I were both writing about "Honest Kitchens" at the same time.

I'll keep checking on you!

All joys,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Hill Country Hippie said...

Is this Sharon Lovejoy who used to do the natural gardening column in Country Living or one of those? If so, I think our paths have crossed in the blogosphere more than once (I love it when that happens!). I talked about your kitchen garden sketch on my blog, when I was first planning my "Cantina Garden", plus I've seen your comments several times on another friend's blog, though I can't remember which one exactly - Pamela Price? Susan Albert? Deborah Vatalero? So many overlapping circles of interest here in the Sphere!

d.a. said...

p.s. I am SO stealing the Bountiful Sprout image and link for my blog! Hee!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thank you d.a., I wish everyone would!