Thursday, July 1, 2010

DESIGN YOUR DAY IN WIMBERLEY













I've got some friends who will be in the area this weekend and want me to give them an insider's tour of Wimberley. Then, in a couple of weeks, I'm hosting a cousins reunion here, and some of them will want a tour as well. My problem is, there's no such thing as a one-tour-fits-all solution, and small though Wimberley may be, you'd wear yourself to a frazzle if you tried to fit it all in at once, especially in the summer heat.

So, I'm trying to come up with a set of five or six either/or options that will help me tailor these
quickie tours to the individuals. Here's what I've got so far:

  • Choose one: Wimberley Glassworks, where they have continual glass-blowing demonstrations in an air-conditioned gallery, or, Old Oaks Ranch, with shopping for all things yarn related, alpacas, and a great sculpture garden?
  • Lunch: The Leaning Pear (gourmet locavore soups, salads, sandwiches) or Mima's (grandma's made from scratch tacos)?
  • Shops (great shoe store, Blue Willow, Wall St. Western, River House, Circa and Kiss the Cook) or Galleries (Wimberley Art League show @ Community Ctr., Bent Tree Gallery artists' co-op, and Gallery on the Square)?
  • Afternoon break: sno-cones at a shaded picnic table, DQ Blizzards, or cool libations on Inoz' shady terrace overlooking the creek?
  • Drive-by peeks at The Blue Hole, Wimberley Players Theater, and the Corral outdoor theater, on the way home.
So what do you think? Based on your own visits here, or on things you have read about on this blog and would like to see for yourself, am I forgetting anything important?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've hit all my faves! I can't come to town without hitting Leaning Pear and Kiss the Cook and you know how I love the Glassblower. I've never made it to Old Oaks Ranch or the Bent Tree Gallery. Looks like you have fine time planned!!! ~ Gus

The Curious Holts said...

Oh my...all that sounds wonderful! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Corral Theater. We drive in a few times a summer to go there. The Blue Hole is as good as it gets. I've never been to Old Oaks Ranch. I would drooool at that yarn store, even though I don't knit or anything. Snow cones on the river sounds great...very Texan. Hope you have fun and don't wear yourself out.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Curious - you've got to go to Old Oaks sometime. Your son would love the alpacas, especially when there are new babies, and the sculpture garden has a cool new water feature that's sorta like a big grotto with dripping water, that you can walk through. The shop isn't just about knitting either. That's just the main room you see in the photo, but there are two other rooms filled with looms, spinning wheels and all kinds of stuff. They are always offering cool classes in dyeing, felting, rug-hooking, and just about anything else you can think of relating to fibers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Life's been a bit rough lately. Lost my grandmother three weeks ago and my dad yesterday. But I had to chime in on your friend's day in Wimberley. Old Oaks v. glass works is a toss up, both offer so much as well as such an awesome glimpse at what makes Wimberley so wonderful. Leaning Pear can't be missed and shopping on the square (especially Kiss the Cook) is perfect. Have to do Blue Hole and how can you miss Inoz?
Happy Fourth, friend,
Sherri

Hill Country Hippie said...

So sorry to hear that Sherri! I knew about your grandmother, but had no idea your father was ailing too. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and with our friend and Muse, Outdoor Woman, who just lost her father as well.