Friday, April 2, 2010

TIME TO GO 'SPLORIN'


Now that I have the left side of the courtyard garden all planted up, it's time to move over to the other side of the steps. These beds are much bigger, but not as well-situated for veggies. They don't get as much sun, and there are tree roots and existing shrubs to contend with. So..., I'm thinking I will plant mostly native shrubs and perennials over there - which leads me to a few questions I have for you:

  • I'm assuming that native plants like native soil, and that they might actually be happier if I didn't remove half of it and replace it with the fancy mix from the nursery, the way I did for the veggie beds. But, surely I need to do something to the existing stuff, to help them along. So, what's the best way to plant natives, to get them off to a good start?
  • Can you think of any good shrubs or perennials that also produce edibles? There are a few sunny pockets on that side, out of the shadow of the tree, that are getting about five hours of morning sun right now - maybe more as the days lengthen. Could I get away with something like blackberries there?
  • How do you hunt for Morel mushrooms? I've been hearing rumors about this being a good year for them here, but figured my property was just too open, not woody enough. Then yesterday, in our weekly newsletter from the big blue barn, friend Pamela Arnosky shared that photo above, of the Morels they had found along their creek recently. Suddenly, I'm thinkin' I need to go do me some 'splorin' down around my creek! So, any tips? Morels are pretty distinctive looking. Are there any other fungi that resemble them, but which could be hazardous to my health? Sure hope they don't like hiding in the same kinda spots as those grumpy snakes who are just waking up from their winter naps. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

musingegret said...

Once again your queries send me scurrying off to research and it's always edifyin'!

Here's a link about mushrooming in Texas and be sure to read the entry from Charlie in Austin whose friends in Wimberley (!) found 3-4 pounds of morels and sold them to a French restaurant (probably Justines) for $20.00 a pound!! Woo Hoo! Get on down to that creek bottom girl!

http://www.morels.com/texas/

musingegret said...

From the same website a reader sent in this lovely youtube lesson on finding them in Texas Hill country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxKjfGXCKQ4

Cedar groves, on a slope, 20 -60 feet up from water, growing in a band.

Pamela Price said...

The biggest limitation will likely be the cold. And, yes, natives prefer native soil.

If I were you, I'd head over to the Lady Bird center. I bet they'd know of some good local plants, esp. edibles.

Hill Country Hippie said...

ME: Great video! John went down for a quick look, but didn't see anything. Maybe the kids and I can go search more thoroughly tomorrow.

PP: I've got tons of good books about natives, and have been to Lady Bird several times. I just need to make myself sit down and do the research.

musingegret said...

Thought of you when browsing one of my favorite ex-pat-living-in-France blogs. Scroll down and savor that pic of morels topping creamy risotto!

http://chezlouloufrance.blogspot.com/2010/04/flavors-i-love.html

musingegret said...

Better bone up on True Morels versus False Morels; I'd no idea about look-alikes! Thank goodness for Google:

http://www.morelmushroom.info/Danger_of_False_Morels.html