Friday, April 16, 2010

BREAKING THROUGH FEAR: RAY WYLIE HUBBARD





Had a kick-ass time at Cafe Susanna last night-- the monthly coffeehouse-style music event put on by the Methodist church. This month's performer was Progressive Country legend Ray Wylie Hubbard, who just happens to be a Wimberleyite. He was accompanied by his very young, but very gifted, son Lucas. What a cutie!

John managed to take off work early and get to Wimberley in plenty of time to accompany me, and even Lex decided to tag along. I wasn't sure whether she would get anything out of it, since she'd never even heard of this guy, but I needn't have worried. Ray Wylie's just a hoot 'n a half! Plus, she finally discovered what people who have only been to stadium-sized concerts are missing out on - the thrill of being up close and personal with a performer. An added bonus for me, after spending my life in huge, anonymous places, was having loved ones on one side of me, a muse and her husband on the other, another friend next to them (Fiber Woman's hubby Rick, who's in that photo, chattin' with Ray Wylie), friends from The Bountiful Sprout right in front of me, and singer/songwriter Susan Gibson (Dixie Chick's mega-hit Wide Open Spaces), also a Wimberleyite, just a few rows back. Kinda cozy, no?

Whenever I'd seen Mr. Hubbard perform in the past, he was always part of a band, or with another headliner. He told us last night that it was only after reading something by Rainer Maria Rilke in his early 40's, about the fears that hold us back, that he was inspired to step out of his comfort zone, learn to finger-pick on the guitar, and start performing as an acoustic soloist.

Not only did this make him a better musician, I'd say it allowed his inner storyteller to blossom as well. For instance, see that snazzy silver guitar in the photo? Well, that belonged to his Grandaddy. Ray Wylie was always trying to get his hands on that guitar when he was a kid, but his Grandaddy told him "Son, you don't ever touch a man's guitar without permission. Maybe someday, when the time is right, I'll let you play it." Well years go by, and RWH is out in LA, living the fast life, when he gets the call from his grandmother. "Grandaddy's dying Ray, but he's determined to see you one last time. Better get here fast." Ray jumps in his car, drives all night and all day to get to east Texas. Soon as he pulls up to the house, his Granny steps out onto the porch and says "C'mon in Ray. He hasn't stopped asking for you. It's something about that ol' guitar." So Ray walks back to the bedroom and kneels down by the bed. His grandfather reaches for the guitar, which is on the bed beside him, and hands it to Ray, saying "Here Ray. I want to...sell this to you." The whole audience gasped with shock when he said this, but Ray continued. "All my life I've been torn up about that...haunted by having to pay him...with a hot check!" Like I said, quite the story teller.

Can't wait for next month's show - Alejandro Escavedo! Not only is he also a Wimberleyite, I just found out that, all this time? He's been living two or three doors down from me! Small world, huh?

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Wonderful post! I saw RWH several years ago at Cactus Cafe on UT and greatly enjoyed the up-close-and-intimate ambience. Haven't been to an arena-style venue in over a decade! In fact, when I saw The Gatlins 2 Christmases ago, it was at a 3000 member mega-church up in North Austin somewhere---that was the largest venue I'd been to in years! LOL

I'm gonna look around and see if I can find a schedule of performances at Cafe Susanna--That is so cool about AE living just doors away.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Unfortunately, they go on break during summer, so there's probably just Alejandro's concert in May, then nothing else until fall.