Monday, February 15, 2010

ONE LITTLE THING...






You may recall, from my recent story about pulling focus, that I made up my mind to quit focusing on the big picture with regards to my new garden. Instead of letting myself get overwhelmed by the seemingly insurmountable number of difficult things I must accomplish, I decided to focus on one tiny thing at a time that seemed doable. Here are the results of this week's endeavors:

  • about six inches of poor soil removed from each of the three smaller beds
  • one truck-load of good 60/40 soil-compost blend hauled in
  • remaining poor soil in one and a half beds fluffed, de-stoned, and raked smooth
  • cardboard weed barrier laid down on one bed, then topped with the black gold we hauled in
Result? One little bed, out of about a dozen, is now ready for spring planting. Woohoo! Plus, John got one tiny peach tree planted, and spread a bunch of native grass seed. He does so love spreading seed. Every year he goes through the Wildseed Farm catalog, and several of these boxes show up on our doorstep. So far, all of his many, many pounds of wildflower seeds scattered each fall have come to naught, but he has great expectations for this spring, thanks to El Nino and the rain she brought us. I hope his faith is rewarded, my Little Johnny Wildseed.

7 comments:

Musings From a Patchwork Quilt Life said...

Your wisdom with this project reminds me of the steps to writing a book: one chapter at a time. What a nice website you have, Becky! I enjoyed my visit. Mary Jo

PamelaPrice said...

Although our garden is much, much smaller, I went through a similar "a-ha" moment. With a small child and a peculiar micro-climate, I couldn't just go out and overhaul the yard like in previous houses.

Taking it slow has its own rewards. Thanks for sharing your cantina garden's unfolding story.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Linda Hoye said...

I'm looking forward to seeing more about how your garden project goes. The sun is shining here and I just want to go out and dig in the dirt as well!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Mary Jo, thanks for stopping by! Weren't you the one wearing the gorgeous open-work knit vest at the conference? I'm fairly new to knitting, but that looked like something I'd love to try my hand at one day.

Pamela - yes, slow gardening does have advantages. We all have plenty of other things to stress out about. A garden should NOT be one of them. It should be the place to de-stress! Plus, I couldn't afford to do it all at once, even if I wanted to. Better to buy a few plants here, take a few cuttings there, share a few pass-alongs...

Anon. - just one problem. I'd have to learn how to Twitter first. I've learned never to say never, but it probably won't happen any time soon.

Linda - we spent Saturday at my favorite garden center in Austin, and it was so balmy and beautiful. But then around 3:00 we stopped and went to movie. Two hours later we came out to find the temps had dropped 25 degrees, the wind was howling, and we almost froze our tushies off! It's still pretty nippy, but maybe I can get out there and spread more dirt tomorrow.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Oops, I meant to say Sunday, not Saturday!

musingegret said...

Research points to a bumper crop of great wildflower viewing this spring---I'm compiling a folder full of 'best bluebonnet drives.'

Can't wait! I hope John's seed investment pays off this year---let's hope!