Thursday, February 18, 2010

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON


Remember John's electric toilet? Well, I've been thinking about the Christmas present I got from son Austin. He's still playing with it, so it's not actually here in Wimberley yet. He called me before he ever started on it, to make sure it was something I thought I would really use. He didn't want to invest a whole bunch of time and money in it otherwise. When he first began to describe it - a circuit board that could tell you when the plants in a pot needed water - I thought, well, John's already got irrigation and timers on most of the pots outside, and I ended up disconnecting all of those because they were wasting too much water during the drought. So, no, probably not. However, when he told me this was meant to be used on indoor plants, and it could also control the amount of light they received, I thought, "Ah-hah, seed-starting trays in the downstairs storeroom!" Alrighty then!

Unfotunately, after all that time and effort, and all the equipment he has bought, he's decided it doesn't really work on seed trays, so I should probably just use it on one big potted plant. Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to find a place in my living room to set up this elaborate circuit board and bucket of water, with cords and tubes hanging everywhere, just so it can tell me when this one pot needs watering? Tee-hee. Electric toilets? Electric finger pokers? This apple sure didn't fall far from the tree, did it?

No comments: