Tuesday, December 8, 2009

FUNERAL ETIQUETTE

Is it wrong to laugh at a funeral gathering? If so, my family has a serious problem! It seems that no matter how hard we try, we can never manage to stay properly somber for more than a few minutes, once we're in the company of all our crazy/wonderful cousins. The only time we ever see them anymore is at funerals, so it's the only chance we get to catch up with what's going on in their lives. Of course, one thing always leads to another, and sooner or later someone will say "Remember that time when Bubba did so-and-so...". After that, it's just a matter of time before someone slips up and lets out a guffaw.

I really don't think Mom is holding it against us, though, for as I recall, she got called down for doing the very same thing at her own mother's funeral! In fact, the way she loved to entertain and throw parties, I think she's probably pleased as punch with the send-off party that my big sister managed to pull together at a moment's notice, where even the salsa was served from crystal, and where everyone was having a grand ol' time. I'm pretty sure she'd say "You done me proud!"

6 comments:

Teri H said...

{{{hugs}}} I don't think it's wrong at all... you were celebrating her life! And memories include the fun(ny) stuff too!

musingegret said...

And that's the way it should be! What a wonderful send-off and a merry way to affirm the lives and memories of the living while marking the passing of a beloved 'member of the tribe.' So good to hear from you.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks girls, it's good to be back - well, except for the part when my daughter got notified that someone hacked into her pay-pal account and used it to buy $1,000 worth of e-bay gift certificates!

Linda Hoye said...

I don't think it's wrong either. Laughing and remembering good times honors the one we love. {{Hugs}}

deb said...

That's the way it should be is right! Sad/happy is totally appropriate at a funeral. How ya doin', girl?

Hill Country Hippie said...

I'm doing great. Thanks for asking.