Tuesday, October 13, 2009

SUCKED INTO A BLACK HOLE - AGAIN






OK, so this is how I loose huge chunks of my life. Yesterday I sat down to squeeze in a quick bit of knitting, before tackling my big list of chores and writing projects. Out of the corner of my eye, I kept glancing at this tall cabinet next to the fireplace, which is crammed full of all the china, pewter, and gee-gaws that I couldn't find space for in the kitchen. Then I got depressed, thinking about the set of "winter dishes" (discovered in a Sumatran mini mart for $35 - just pine and berries, no Santas) packed away and rarely used. On top of that, there's all the stuff that's still in Houston. Where the heck am I going to put that when John lets go of the townhouse?

From there, I got to thinking about my wedding china with the pastel floral rim, and how much fun we had digging through barrels and stacks of dishes in a funky old Noritake shop in Singapore, pulling together a setting for 12 for practically nothing! "Too bad I only use the plates these days, and all those teacups and stuff are just wasting space," I thought to myself. Then, "Aha! If I took the stuff I never use to the thrift shop, I could combine those plates with my mix and match pieces of old gold and white china that I've collected, and that would leave room enough for winter dishes and some of the Houston stuff.

Somehow, that led me to making detailed lists of every type of dinner party or holiday celebration that I tend to host, what dishes and serving pieces I would use for each, and which linens - just to make sure I didn't let go of something that I would regret later. Next thing I knew it was bedtime, there were dishes stacked everywhere, from hearth to dining room, and I hadn't accomplished a single thing from my real to-do list! Sure had a lot of fun, though.

4 comments:

musingegret said...

"Somehow, that led me to making detailed lists ...." You tackled a writing project without even planning on it! LOL

Instead of donating the cups and saucers you could bust 'em up and make a little mosaic table for the cantina garden. Here's a link to a gal that makes beautiful mosaic furniture and shows how:

http://www.livingwithlindsay.com/2009/08/teach-me-tuesday-diy-tile-mosaic-table.html

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks for the link. I am hoping to make a mosaic piece or two for the garden, but I want LURID colors, not the delicate pastel of this china!

lexlane said...

Actually, call me strange, but I absolutely love sorting through my belongings and getting rid of stuff.

I am enjoying my move right now because it is a great excuse to go through every room, closet, and cupboard and sort it all out and pair it down.

Guess I know who I get it from now.

When the rest of the world is figuring out how to get more stuff, you and I are looking around trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well you sure as heck didn't get it from your Dad! To tell you the truth, it was an absolutely LOVELY way to spend a nice rainy day. I pulled out all the table linens too, and came up with lots of different combinations to try. I am sooo ready to do some holiday entertaining. I just feel a little guilty for not doing any of the stuff I was supposed to be doing. Spent most of today cleaning up the mess I made, but still have a bunch of teapots I can't figure out what to do with (don't worry, I'm keeping quite a few - it just got out of hand when everyone started giving them to me!).