Sunday, August 30, 2009

BLINDERS VS. CHOICE

I hear there is a website where one can go, to see scientific predictions as to the effects that climate change will have on your own neck of the woods. I'm girding my loins, trying to gather the nerve to go look. After the summer we've just experienced - are still experiencing, for that matter - it would be easy to believe that this particular neck of the woods could at some point become part of an arid wasteland.

Do I even want to know, if that is the case? Wouldn't it be easier to just keep my blinders on? To play Scarlett O'hara and tell myself "I refuse to think about that right now. I'll worry about it later." Probably. Alas, that has always been difficult for me to do. In all liklihood, I will choose to face my demons. I think it is better to make choices, no matter how difficult, than to be left with no choice at all. Even if it means having to choose between leaving this place we love and are just getting settled into, ahead of the mass exodus, to find a more temperate climate, or sticking it out to the bitter end and dealing with continual drought, the expense of having water hauled in, and the risk of ending up with no one to sell the house to and no water left to buy.

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Wow, you **are** thinking ahead! Be sure and post that site when you find it. In the meanwhile, here's a wonderful video of human talent at work!

http://tinyurl.com/nwe4hh

Hill Country Hippie said...

John showed that to me a couple of weeks ago, and we were both just blown away by her talent - not just in what she can do, but also the style and grace with which she does it. Her hands remind me of a Balinese dancer.