Thursday, May 21, 2009

SO I LIED

Remember, a couple of weeks back, when I was blogging about Alejandro Escavedo? You know how I said that there was absolutely no way that I was going to miss seeing him perform here in Wimberley on the 28th? Well, I lied. I was also planning a little get-away in downtown Austin the following weekend for John and me, but that's not going to happen either. Why? Because John has found a much more unique venue for our anniversary celebration this year - one that will stand out in memory for years to come. This year we will be enjoying the fine cuisine and luxurious accommodations found only at Methodist Hospital in Houston, where Dear Hubby will be undergoing a double bypass next week. I can hardly wait!

Poor baby. I think he is more worried about me than he is about himself. I didn't want to leave him alone in Houston after we found out what was coming, but he insisted on my returning to Wimberley for a few days, and wouldn't let me cancel the scheduled visit from my sister and niece. He always thanks me profusely, any time I stay in Houston with him for more than a couple of days, like he believes that's a major hardship for me or something. I have a feeling he worries because I don't ever write when I am there.

Anyway, ever since we found out about the surgery, he's been trying to convince me that I need to take him to Wimberley for his 4-6 week recovery period, but there's no way I'm going to haul him off to the boonies, three or four hours away from his doctors, until he's well on the way to recovery. Every time I glance up, it seems as if he is studying me with a look of concern on his face, like he's expecting me to flip out at any moment, and it's starting to freak - me - out!

Well, I have three words for you dear. CUT IT OUT! Have I ever flipped out on you in the past 34 years? I promise, you have nothing to worry about, as far as I'm concerned. We will get through this just fine, as long as you are a good boy, and do everything the doctor tells you to do. But if you don't, the whole blogosphere is going to read about it, and you will never hear the end of it!

7 comments:

Judie said...

Darn! I'm sorry about the surgery. Your hubby couldn't be in a better place for heart surgery. (of course the best place for any surgery is wherever Someone Else is having it)
I've scrubbed in on my share of bypasses and valve replacements over the years and the advances in surgery and recovery is remarkable! Seriously.It's still not a picnic but I'd bet the home place that you both will be better than ok when it's over.
Please let us know how you both are doing and I'll be saying a prayer or two for a super fast recovery. JudieJ

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Judie. That's good to know, cause when his mom had it done, it sucked! She coughed so hard when she got home that she tore her sternum clamp apart, and they had to take her back and open her up again.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Oh honey, I am so sorry about the need for surgery. Hang in there with the stress that goes with this sort of thing. And, know that we are cheering you and hubby on from Los Angeles. PLEASE keep us posted and we'll keep you in our prayers. xo

musingegret said...

Becky Gal! You are such an inspiration and model of strength, pragmatism ("but there's no way I'm going to haul him off to the boonies, three or four hours away from his doctors, until he's well on the way to recovery") and dry humor ("fine cuisine and luxurious accommodations....").

You have lifted all of our spirits and moods so many times with your 'right-on-the-money' posts and your up-front honesty on such a wide range of subjects from your birth family to "The Reality of Now" (your own post of 2/24/this year). Just know that all of us out here, your readership, your audience (lurkers and commenters combined) are thinking about your and John's upcoming 'anny hurdle' and are sending prayers, lighting candles, visualizing perfect outcomes (however our belief systems term these acts of love and mindfulness).

Please have Lex and/or Austin guest blog for you and keep us all in the loop during the coming days and weeks. We'll be hungry for info and will be foraging for our dear " H C Hippie's" tales of caretaking. ;-)

Is John a 'good patient' ?? He BETTER BE!!

d.a. said...

Best of luck to your husband on the upcoming surgery, and many more Happy Anniversaries in your future!

Polly said...

Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry. Tell John to stop worrying about you and settle down and get better fast. I understand why he would want to recupe in Wimberley, but you are absolutely right. He needs to be near his docs, at least for the first few weeks.

And please take care of YOU, as well. Get lots of rest, don't forget to eat, and please PLEASE, ask for help if you need it.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hey, cut it out! You're making me all teary-eyed! Really, thanks so much for all the kind thoughts. You guys are the best!