Monday, March 9, 2009

A NEW WAY OF EATING






There was a time when I spent at least a couple of hours every weekend going through my cookbooks, deciding which entrees to fix for the week, making out grocery lists, and shopping. While at the grocery store, I would throw in a head of lettuce, a couple of cans of beans and fruit, some fresh broccoli or asparagus, and rice or potatoes. Notice how the veggies were a very minor afterthought to the meal-planning, and stayed pretty much the same year-round.








It just occurred to me recently that all of that has somehow been turned upside down in recent years - especially since moving to Wimberley. My new go-to, easy-peasy weeknight meal goes something like this: Start with whatever fresh veggies I got from The Bountiful Sprout or the farmer's market this week - last night I roasted broccoli and new spring carrots, tonight I will toss together a quick slaw from cabbage and kohlrabi. While the veggies are roasting, or whatever, I whip up something simple to go with them, using an egg or some cheese, and maybe a slice of artisanal bread or a fresh tortilla, all from TBS as well. One night it might be goat cheese toasts with a dab of roasted tomatoes. On another it could be my Italian egg sandwich, migas, or a fritatta. Ooh - that reminds me! Tomorrow I'm going to do a site visit for a producer who wishes to sell her goose eggs through TBS. Ever tasted one? I ought to be able to make a doozie of a fritatta from those!

On weekends, when John is here, we turn to slow food. Lovely braises and stews, usually involving manly cuts of meat - much easier now that Richardson Farms has joined TBS as a producer. There was a great article about them in the latest edition of edibleAUSTIN. If only they hadn't used that darling photo of their toddler, hugging a precious little piglet, on the cover. I'm afraid that image just might intrude upon my enjoyment of those beautiful pork cutlets I recently ordered from them.

2 comments:

Polly said...

I envy you, Becky. This is the way I would eat all the time if it weren't for my husband, Mr. Meat-and-Potatoes Guy. One of my favorite summer meals is a vegetable plate, possibly accompanied by a beautiful hunk of steaming hot cornbread. The first time I served that to my darlin' yankee husband, he looked at me like I was trying to starve him. Even though there were 5 different fresh veggies on that plate (5!), without meat, he just knew that he would be dead before the evening news was over.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yes, I am extremely lucky, because even when he is here, hubby is pretty flexible when I serve him a meatless meal - as long as it doesn't contain squash or eggplant. His father and brother are a whole 'nother story though. If I had to cook for them every day, I'd of murdered them ages ago!