Wednesday, March 4, 2009

CAN YOU SMELL IT?



Do you live anywhere in the Texas Hill Country? If so, you need to step outside for a minute, and suck in a big ol' breath. There...can you smell it? A sumptuous scent from your childhood should be filling your nostrils just about now. If you suddenly find yourself with an inexplicable craving for grape bubblegum or Kool-aid, blame it on this guy - Texas Mountain Laurel.

I thought I caught a faint whiff out on the upper porch earlier today, so I went downstairs to check a moment ago. Sure enough, the shrub by the front steps is just dripping with clusters that are about ready to burst. If it already smells this yummy, and the blooms aren't even open, imagine what it will be like in a couple of days! Poor John. It's my turn to spend the weekend with him in Houston, and by the time he gets here the following weekend, it will probably all be over with. So sad...

The amazing thing is, we didn't even plant this booger. They grow wild all over the place, and the drier and rockier it is, the happier they are. So don't you Yankees go feeling sorry for us, just because we can't grow your darn lilacs down here. We've got the Bubblegum Bush, by golly!

4 comments:

Teri H said...

David's in Austin and was in Burnet today... and tomorrow will be in Lampasas... I'll make sure he "smells it"... =)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hope he's doing "fun" things with regard to your future move!

Polly said...

I haven't seen any Mountain Laurel yet but I ran accross a very small patch of bluebonnets on my way to work this morning! As much as I love seeing them, it makes me a little sad because its really a little too early for them and I know they won't last long.

Sigh...

Hill Country Hippie said...

My husband tosses out tons of wildflower seeds here each fall, but has never had any luck with them. I keep telling him that it's because you are supposed to dance on your seeds (to ensure proper seed-to-soil contact), but he refuses to comply!