Friday, February 27, 2009

FLOW: TAPPING INTO OUR GIFTS

"Why should we all use our creative power...? Because there is nothing that makes people so generous, joyful, lively, bold and compassionate, so indifferent to fighting and the accumulation of objects and money."--- Brenda Ueland

I spent the first 40 years of my life believing I didn't have a creative bone in my body, then I spent the next 15 kicking myself for wasting the first 40. What I finally discovered was that "creativity is our true nature, that blocks are an unnatural thwarting of a process at once as normal and as miraculous as the blossoming of a flower at the end of a slender green stem." I also learned that creativity is God's gift to us, and using our creativity is our gift back to God. The idea that the creator encourages creativity is a radical thought. We tend to think that creative dreams are egotistical, something that God wouldn't approve of for us. If our parents expressed doubt or disapproval for our creative dreams, we may project that same attitude onto a parental god. Thankfully, I was taught that this can, and must, be undone.

My teacher believes that "no matter what your age or your life path, whether making art is your career or your hobby or your dream, it is not too late or too egotistical or too selfish or too silly to work on your creativity." This teacher devised tools to assist us with this task - this business of creating pathways in our consciousness through which the creative forces can operate. Regardless of your spiritual background, most of us believe in some kind of Higher Power. Thinking of it as a form of spiritual electricity is a useful jumping-off place. Consider these quotes:

  • I myself do nothing. The Holy Spirit accomplishes all through me. -- William Blake
  • The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel. -- Piet Mondrian
  • The music of this opera (Madame Butterfly) was dictated to me by God; I was merely instrumental in putting it on paper and communicating it to the public. -- Giacomo Puccini
  • Straightaway the ideas flow in upon me, directly from God. -- Johannes Brahms
I have never met my teacher in person. I found her in a book - a book I highly recommend to anyone who is interested in practicing the art of creative living, and the book I am offering to you in this month's Year-of-Reading-Dangerously Give-Away. The author, whom I will name soon, says:

As you work with the tools in this book, as you undertake the weekly tasks, many changes will be set in motion. Chief among these changes will be the triggering of synchronicity: we change and the universe furthers and expands that change. I have an irreverent shorthand for this that I keep taped to my writing desk: "Leap, and the net will appear."

Are you ready to take that leap? Then leave up to one comment per day, between now and Sunday night, or send me an e-mail at becky.lane(at)vownet(dot)net, and I will put your name into the hat for our drawing. It matters not if you have already won before - you are still eligible! I might even sweeten the deal by throwing in some supplies which will help you as you undertake the exercises in the book - maybe a journal for your "morning pages" or a sketchbook to take with you on your "creative excursions." But hurry, time is running out!

9 comments:

musingegret said...

Oh my gosh, I llloooove Julia Cameron and here's another sync! I was cleaning out bookcases this week to make more room and haul some books to Half-Price and discovered her "The Sound of Paper" which I had completely forgotten I had (and hadn't read yet). I've been completely enthralled by the Peter Mayle book and thank you again for introducing me to a new author; I'll probably spend the Half-Price 'profits' on another of his Provence books----any recommendations? By the way, I'm quite taken by your phrase 'spiritual electricity", so evocative of the creativity buzz or zing.

Polly said...

This book sounds fascinating, Becky.

BTW, mentioning Peter Mayle, I found an audio book of his Toujours Provence at a garage sale. It is read by Patrick Macnee and is completely delightful! I read A Year in Provence last fall and fell in love. My dream has always been a trip to Italy but, since then, I've decided to squeeze in a trip to France as well. Probably won't even make it, but the dreaming is fun.

lexlane said...

I could probably use a book like that, help unlock what I need to take the next leap in my career and life in general.

Hill Country Hippie said...

That is my big dilemma right now: If I could only take one more overseas trip in my life, what would it be? Tuscany? Provence? Those are the top two choices, but they are being nudged by Barcelona and the Greek Isles. We've done the kind of trips (thanks to a business-paid plane ticket) where you tried to squeeze as many places as you could into a short period of time, but never again. Next time (and it may be our only time) we want to pick one spot, and follow Frances Mayes' advice: "If you settle in, even for two weeks, live in a house, not a hotel, and you buy figs and soap at the local places, sit in cafes and restaurants, go to a local concert or church service, you cannot help but open to the resonance of a place..."

BTW, musingegret, Polly, Lex - you are all entered in the Give-Away!

catislander said...

Just saw your article in the Wimberley View. The Bountiful Sprout sounds wonderful -- just think how much it will have grown and blossomed by the time we move to Wimberley.

Hill Country Hippie said...

OMG! No one even told me they were going to run it - guess I better run out and get a copy...or two...or three...

musingegret said...

Becky, I'd never heard of Brenda Ueland before reading the quote at top of post, so I 'googled' her. What a treasure trove of information and what a character she seemed to be. How did you ever hear of or learn of her? Truly a woman ahead of her time! Thank you.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Actually, I know nothing about her, but now you have my interest piqued. I just came across her quote in the mystery book I am about to give away.

Cheryl said...

now you've got me thinking about the true meaning of time and i'm wondering if i have the time to think about time or if i should focus on the here and now so that's probably what i'll do----for the time being.......