Thursday, February 26, 2009

BACK TO SYNCHRONICITY

Just for fun, here is an example of one string (out of many) of "meaningful coincidences" that occurred, once I set out on the path to good-lifeitude:

  • DH started pestering me to transfer my Hill Country journal ramblings to a blog
  • Surfed the net to see if anyone else was blogging about the HC
  • Stumbled upon a neat blog called Lifescapes
  • Turned out it was written by none other than Susan Wittig Albert, author of my favorite China Bayles mysteries, which are set in the HC
  • Got the nerve up to send Susan an email (expecting no response whatsoever, from one who was juggling 3 book series and a magazine column at once) just to say I was happy to have found her blog, that her books had inspired me for years, and that we hoped to be living in the HC ourselves before too long.
  • She responded, personally, within minutes!
  • Later, after I had actually moved here and was wanting to take a writing class, I remembered that Susan was once a VP at a near-by university. I sent her an email asking if she could recommend any good classes (very presumptuous of me, and completely out of character)
  • Again she responded, personally, and within minutes. Not only did she answer my question, she also invited me to attend the Story Circle Network conference that was to be held in Austin the following month - an organization that had been started by Susan herself some years before, just for women memoirists like me, because she believes every woman has a story to tell, and she is passionate about helping them to find their voices.
  • While there, I attended a workshop on blogging, hosted by Susan herself
  • Also while there, I did something I have never done before - went into the hotel restaurant alone, waltzed up to a table of two other conference attendees, and brazenly invited myself to join them. One of them, as it turned out, also lived in Wimberley. She later invited me to hang out with her and a couple of her other wonderfully creative friends. I now refer to them as The Muses...

5 comments:

Teri H said...

So very cool!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Isn't it though? It actually gave me shivers, reading down through that list. I kept thinking, what if I hadn't been paying attention, or bothered to step out of my comfort zone, or been brave enough to take that chance? Just think of what all I might have missed!

And by the way Teri, I just added your name to the hat for this month's drawing.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Actually, the more I think about it, I have to say that Susan/China is also the reason I finally got the nerve to quit my job in Houston and move up here full-time. When I sent her that first e-mail, her reply read "China says to tell you 'Yes, the Hill Country is a wonderful place to live,' and she hopes you won't waste too much time before moving here." Suddenly, I found myself thinking "Why not? What am I waiting for?"

Polly said...

Becky, I've always believed that, when you are ready to learn something, the universe will always send you a teacher. Or in my case lately, just a kick in the butt from a complete stranger!

Susan is one of my favorite writers. I've only read her China books but I plan to pick up some of her others as well.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Me too! One of the Muses has just loaned me the whole Beatrix Potter series, and I am slowly working my way through them. They are not slow reading - very quick in fact - it's just slow going, working them in around everything else I have in my "Must Read!" pile.