Friday, January 2, 2009

LOOKING BACK, AND AHEAD

I got an email recently from someone I hadn't talked to in ages. She asked me how things were going with my book. Book? What book? Then it came to me with a jolt, "Ah yes, the book!"

You see, when I first started writing my "letters from Wimberley," I thought I could just stick them all together and call them a memoir. So what did happen with that? Well, let's say I learned just enough to discover how much I've yet to learn! Now the question is, if I don't have a book to show for it, how can I justify quitting my job in Houston and moving up here full-time to write?

I allowed myself a few hours of wallowing in guilt, then I decided to make a list of those things that I have accomplished this year - things that would have been impossible if I were still working at Buchanan's - and here it is:

  • Joined Story Circle Network, attended their biannual conference in Austin, found a wonderful mentor in Susan Albert, and reviewed some great books for their website.
  • Met the Muses - inspiring friends who constantly pull me out of my comfort zone, causing me to expand my horizons.
  • Honed my writing skills by starting this blog, and learned so much by reading others - not just about writing, but also about living.
  • Joined the board of The Bountiful Sprout, and helped give birth to something amazing.
  • Took an art class that helped me overcome my fear of drawing, and an on-line writing class that honed my skills even further.
  • Wrote some articles I am quite proud of, had a few published, and even got paid for one, at last!
  • Finally got around to landscaping the beds around the main entry to our house.
  • Grew a bit of my own food, including some awesome Romano beans.
  • Learned to balance my days, and to live on half of what I did before.
OK, when I look at it like this, I don't feel so bad. Maybe the year wasn't wasted after all! But now what? Well, I think one of the reasons I am having trouble building up my blog readership is that I still haven't zeroed in on my blog identity, and thus, don't know my target audience. It would be so much easier if I was just a foodie blog, or a gardening blog, or a green blog, or a moving-to-another-country blog. If I were, I could join one of the hundreds of blog co-ops that are forming these days, and we could piggyback off of one another's success. But mine is a blog about living the good life, and that involves some of all those things, so how do I define and reach my target audience? I haven't the foggiest idea, but my goal for this year is to figure it out!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

You did a lot of great things over the past year, including adjusting to your new life that YOU created! There is no greater accomplishment than that!

Mary Moss said...

You had quite an accomplished year in 2008.

Oh . . . I really like your blog - even though it doesn't have just one topic. It's authentic and relatable:-)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Mary, I'm so glad you stopped by!

Price said...

I'm with Mary. When I read your blog, I find it refreshing that it unfolds rather than having one singular theme.

I also happen to think that Central Texas is just now being explored as a place with an authentic vibe. And we really need authentic female voices like yours to help people figure it how to tap into the various aspects, yk?

So, while I think it's dandy to think about widening your audience, I vote for your keeping this blog as a reflection of your own being.

What's that thing from the movies?

"If you build it, they will come."

Totally.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Wow, thanks girls - I needed that! A local lady discovered my blog a few months ago, and left a comment along the lines of "Ah, I remember way back when I was new to the Hill Country like you, and couldn't believe my sheer dumb luck, to actually be living here!" Then she thanked me for letting her see it all again, through my eyes. I just hope I can hang on to the wonder, for as long as possible. So far, it only seems to be increasing!