Thursday, October 30, 2008

GIMME A KID'S BOOK ANY DAY


Way back in August, it actually rained every day for a week. It was enough to lift the burn ban briefly, and it created a few small puddles in the creeks and rivers, but it didn't last. It was, however, the perfect excuse for snuggling in with the new book I had just picked up - Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer. Although I knew it was aimed at young people, I was curious to see what all the hubbub was about, just as I had been with the Harry Potter series. It only took a few minutes spent with Bella and Edward for me to become hooked, and to realize that I would probably have to see this series through to the end.

You see, what I have discovered is that, unlike other authors, those who write for young people cannot rely on sex and violence to get them by. Their only chance of succeeding is to tell a fabulous story. J.K. Rowling knew that, and so does Stephanie Meyer. In fact, the first book in the series was probably one of the most erotic I have ever read - no small feat, considering it has absolutely no sex in it! I picked the second book up on our way to San Diego to visit Lex, finished it while there and left them both for her to read. Within a week or two, she had devoured #'s 3 and 4 as well. Which reminds me - You are planning to bring those last two with you at Thanksgiving, aren't you Alexis? I've cleared my reading agenda that week, and am planning for total vampire immersion!

P.S. Many thanks to coverbrowser.com for the above image

3 comments:

Joanne said...

"Their only chance of succeeding is to tell a fabulous story." Bravo! We need more books like this.

Linda Hoye said...

I read the first and second books, and suprised myself by loving them. Great story-telling that grabbed me from the beginning. I remember spending an entire August afternoon in the lawn swing reading the first book.

Hill Country Hippie said...

See what I mean? I think people might pass them up, just because they are about vampires and werewolves, but that's not REALLY what they are ABOUT. I think the true theme is: trying to do the right thing, when faced with almost insurmountable odds - an important lesson for people of any age.