Sunday, August 17, 2008

THE WOBBLE GLOBE


I am so pissed with myself. I can't believe Paula and Tim were here all day yesterday, and I never once thought to pull out either my regular camera, or my new video camera. What a bozo! Oh well, maybe it's for the best. Now I have an excuse to pull out an old photo of them instead, and tell you a funny little story about good ol' Tim.

The reason they are both dressed in black here, is that they are attending a wake in my honor, which my husband surprised me with on the occasion of my 30th birthday. If you think I might have been insulted or saddened by this, you couldn't be further from the truth. At this point in our lives, Paula and I were both flying high as kites. After years of trying to get pregnant, multiple miscarriages on my part, and being told it was hopeless on theirs, we both by some miracle ended up pregnant at the same time, and we were all deliriously happy, proud new parents - they of one-year old Chase, we of 9-month old Alexis.

One of the first things we did, upon entering motherhood, was to host a Discovery Toys party together. It was a company much like Tupperware, only they sold educational toys, and if you hosted a party you got extra stuff for free. One of our favorite toys, which we both purchased, was called the wobble globe. It was a round, clear plastic globe, filled with brightly colored balls in various sizes, and mounted on a suction cup base. It was perfect for sticking to a high chair tray in a restaurant, so the kids could entertain themselves by batting it around and making it wobble. The saleslady's last words to us though, were "Whatever you do, don't let anyone try to stick it on themselves anywhere. It forms such a strong suction that one Dad ended up having to go to the ER to get it peeled off of him. Apparently Tim didn't believe Paula when she told him that, for if you look closely at the photo above, you will see the most humongous hickie ever, smack dab in the middle of Tim's forehead. And it stayed there for quite some time. Try explaining that one to the guys at work!

5 comments:

Christopher said...

Ha! That is one epic hickey! You could almost pass that off as some sort of industrial accident.

lexlane said...

I love that story. I actually tell it to my friends every once in a while, along with tim's airplane prank. I Miss the Sanfords.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yes, what would we talk about at parties, if it weren't for Tim!

Eveline Maedel said...

apparantly it's a guy thing - my hubby once stuck a Mickey Mouse bathtub toy with suction cup on his forehead to entertain our oldest while bathing him...he had an enormous hickey on his forehead, which looked like a moose had stepped on him, and has ever since been referred to as the time he got the "Mickey Hickey"! :)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yep, obviously a guy thing!