Monday, August 11, 2008

CONFESSIONS OF A PSEUDO-HIPPIE


In case you haven't figured this out for yourself, I'm not a gen-u-ine hippie. I never used drugs, lived in a commune, or went to Woodstock. It's just that, until we found Wimberley, I was always such a fish out of water: the only one I knew who was trying to simplify when everyone else had gone into conspicuous consumption high gear; the only one in my group who drove a pickup when all my friends had BMWs; the only one in our neighborhood who actually worked in her garden (and did it organically!), when everyone else had hired a yard service, a fertilizer service and a pesticide service; the only one who voted for Al Gore when everyone I knew was gung ho for the Bush dynasty; the only one I knew who believed global warming was real; the only one I knew who thought gathering the family around the dinner table and allowing the kids to have free time for play, was more important than having them signed up for a different activity every day of the week, etc., etc., etc.

Of course, I was very insulated in the burbs in those days, only aware of my immediate surroundings, and not of the bigger picture. Thanks to my blog, and the ever-growing network of amazing people it has connected me with, I now realize that many of my long-held beliefs are starting to come of age. Now that we boomers are staring retirement in the face, and the economy has gone into a nose-dive, we are letting go of the compulsion to accumulate more and more "stuff", and are wondering if we really want to be burdened with maintaining a McMansion as we age. Finally I'm hearing a buzz about co-housing - something I've been interested in for years, but which was just too slow to get off the ground here in Texas. At last organic food is readily available and I no longer get sneers of ridicule when I refuse to use chemicals in my garden. Best of all, people are seriously beginning to think about where their food comes from, who grows it and how. Not only is there more support for the small family farm, I've even seen several websites popping up in support of a return to Victory Gardens, as a way of decreasing our dependence on fossil fuel. All in all I have to say, we've come a long way, Baby. But don't stop now - we still have a ways to go!

7 comments:

Teri H said...

Just wanted you to know I enjoy your blog! I'm a native Texan living in Colorado right now, but we hope to move back to Texas in the next year or two. And our destination is Hill Country. My folks live NE of Austin and we love that area.

And like you, I had read Animal Vegetable Miracle recently but had never read any of her other books... but had a couple on my shelves. I picked up The Bean Trees because of your recommendation and I love it! Thanks for sharing that!

Hill Country Hippie said...

If I were you, I'd keep a summer place in CO, or at least go back and visit friends there every August. That's what we did growing up - headed for Creede, CO every August. Hill Country weather is downright fabulous most of the year, but come August, I always ask myself why I am living here! Of course, being a native, you already know that, huh?

Teri H said...

Yes! We have talked about having a "summer place" here in CO and a "winter place" in Hill Country... I vividly remember summers in Texas!

I replied to your email... wasn't sure if you check that email (from the comment on my blog) often or not.

Polly said...

I've always loved the idea of co-housing. Years ago, I was in the moving business & went to people's to survey their goods before quoting a price. One of the most incredible places I've ever seen was a home on the coast of Texas - no beach, just waves breaking against a rocky shore. Anyway, the home was made up a one huge *great room* with a huge stone fireplace, grand piano, lots of comfy sofas and chairs and a floor-to-ceiling view of the bay, about 200 ft away. On one side of the room was a door that lead to a kitchen, dining room and 3 bedrooms. On the other side was another door that led to another kitchen, dining room, and 2 bedrooms. Mom and Dad lived on the smaller side, while daughter and her family lived on the larger. Enough privacy for everyone, but still family was always there. I've never forgotten that house, and the idea of sharing a home with another family.

Polly

Hill Country Hippie said...

Years ago my sister was playing around, and drew up a plan where each couple in the family had their own smallish house, arranged in a circle facing in to a shared garden, but there would also be a shared building with a craft room and workshop, a large dining area and maybe a guest room. I thought it would be neat because it would be like the company compound we lived on in Indonesia - if you got bored at home, you wandered down to the activity center, where there was always someone to visit with. I also liked the idea of having someone to share gardening and cooking with occasionally. Several years later I read a book called "A Reasonable Life" by Ferenc Mate, where he described the Danish co-housing communities. Lo and behold, it was a perfect description of our imaginary family compound!

Polly said...

I've heard recently about some small communities like that, where every family has their own cottage but there is a communal dining hall. It really appeals to me. Or maybe its just the idea of having my turn in the kitchen only come along once every couple of weeks!

Polly

Hill Country Hippie said...

So Polly, do you have a blog I can visit? There's nothing listed when I click on your name. It seems like the people who leave comments on my blog, always have the most interesting blogs that I can relate to - Like teri in co, here!