Sunday, August 3, 2008

A NEW WORLD ORDER

Merlot Mom posted a great little article over on Midlife Bloggers this morning (http://midlifebloggers.com/?p=124). It was called The Gift: An Open Letter To My Kids, and it was about how mommies grow up too, and eventually learn that it's OK to put themselves first sometimes.

I remember it as if it were yesterday, the day my kids finally realized that a new world order had been established in our household. After I discovered a passion for gardening, took a part-time job with a landscaper, and went back to school to study horticulture, I gradually started letting the kids do more and more things for themselves. It took them a while to notice. One day one of them, who was soon to head off to college, told me that they needed a dental appointment. "There's the phone, and there's the address book," I replied. They just stood there for a moment, mouth agape and hands on hips. Finally they sputtered "What is with this 'make them do it for themselves' kick you are on!" Head cocked in tender amusement, I replied "Babe. It's called 'allowing them to become adults' !"

2 comments:

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

ha, funny one. I manage to serve myself up a big dose of mommy guilt all by myself ... even now when mine are in their 20, I feel twinges about coming to France for such an extended (maybe forever?) period.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I know! Mine are 22 and 25 now, and yet, every time they run into difficulty, we have this huge tug-of-war with ourselves, wanting to rush in and bail them out, protect them from heartache one minute, then realizing that we really need to let them handle it on their own. But it's so friggin' hard!