Monday, August 18, 2008

JUST LOOKING? YEAH, RIGHT!

The primary reason that the Sanfords came to town Saturday, was so that John and Tim could play a round of golf together. John used to play a little golf in Indonesia, because there wasn't much else to do, but since then, he's barely picked up a club. However, Tim and his son Chase have fallen madly in love with the sport in the last couple of years, and finally convinced John and Austin to come play a round with them in College Station a few weeks back. Afterwards, John said he had played a lousy game that day, but had a great time doing it!

Now, if you recall, I've mentioned before that for John, just about anything is a good excuse to go shopping. The very next weekend he was dragging me to the golf shop, where I slumped with glazed eyes, while he checked out everything in the store. Finally I figured out his true intention for being there. "So, you've golfed one time in the last ten years, and already you need a complete new set of clubs, huh?" I asked with a knowing grin. "No, I'm just looking," he replied, sounding insulted. My only response to that was the loudest snort I could muster, because, well, anyone who knows my John, knows there is no such thing as "just looking", as far as my hubby is concerned. If for instance, he suggests going for a drive, then suddenly pulls into a car lot, saying "Why don't we look around, just for the fun of it?", you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a brand new car in the Lane garage, before the month is out.

Sure enough, there was a brand new set of clubs in the garage, next time I went to Houston. I started laughing the minute I spotted them. "So, did these miracle clubs magically transform you into a great golfer?" I asked. "Pretty damn close," he replied. Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm happy for the boy. The way I see it? New golf clubs: $xxx.xx. New shoes: $xx.xx. Green and cart fees: $xxx.xx. A reason to get up off the couch each weekend: Priceless!

2 comments:

The Old Man said...

Hey, I'll have you know that those were a new set of used clubs and only the irons at that. So there...pfffsst!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I stand corrected - but you're still pretty damn funny!