Monday, June 9, 2008

PICKING UP THE BRUSH


What a blast! If you recall from a few weeks back, I mentioned being somewhat phobic about art. Well, I was in a bookstore recently, and happened across a magazine called Somerset Workshop. It had detailed instructions for several different art projects, and one of them really struck my fancy. It's a paint-over technique where you photocopy a found human image, either from a photograph or a magazine. You cut out the image and attach it to the background of your choice, then paint over and around it. So I just cut out these shapes of Alexis and Austin, glued them on to a piece of canvas, then painted over them and added my own background. It was so easy, and so much fun. Try it, you'll like it!

4 comments:

Eveline Maedel said...

Beautiful!!! Hope you've got that hung somewhere where you can enjoy it each day :)

Hill Country Hippie said...

You do realize, don't you Eveline, that it was your blog that led me to buy those paints and pick up that brush?

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Cool!
It looks amazing.
Is yours mounted on canvas? And if so, with what? And what kind of paints did you use?
It really turned out well!
Becky

Hill Country Hippie said...

I mounted the figures to a flat piece of canvas using matte medium. The paints are just those little plastic bottles of craft acrylics.