Sunday, June 22, 2008

BEER IN THE BATHTUB


We've had this house for 3 1/2 years now, and still haven't bothered to do any research on how to maintain wells and septic systems. I usually prefer to be proactive, rather than reactive, so it was really starting to worry me. Finally, I decided to set out upon a fact-finding mission, using my finely honed research skills. My primary technique is to eavesdrop on conversations whenever a key word is mentioned. Yesterday, while exercising at Curves, I hit pay dirt. I discovered that the refuse-devouring bugs, whom you want and need down in your septic system, hate bleach, but love beer! It seems that if you use bleach in your laundry, or to clean your commodes, you run the risk of killing off these good bugs. However, if you pour a bottle of beer down your bathtub once a week, they'll be happy as clams.

Once I had gathered my information, I proceeded to step 2: fact checking. I sent an email out to everyone I knew who had a septic system, to see what they thought about this information. Several thought the beer idea sounded fun, whether it worked or not. Like me, they probably had visions of tables full of bugs, with dung-filled platters before them, holding up their tankards and demanding more beer! Or, maybe not. Susan Albert immediately sent me links to several scholarly sites regarding the subject, saying "Becky, here is some reliable information." Guess she doesn't approve of my research methodology.

4 comments:

Eveline Maedel said...

Sounds similar to the conversation at the local hardware store my husband had this weekend regarding pouring Baking Soda down an anthill to get rid of ants :) So, how would you know if it was working, like how do you know if you have the good bugs in your septic system??? (or, do I want to know the answer to that!)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ummm, I guess if the sludge levels stay down low enough that stuff isn't oozing up out of the ground all over your property?

The Old Man said...

Whatever you do, don't use my Lone Star beer!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I promise, Dear!