Sunday, March 16, 2008

I CAN'T GET NO, SATISFACTION (1/08)

Years ago, I heard about a book called The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron. The book came about after Julia, herself a prolific writer, developed workshops that led people through a twelve-week program to help them recover from artist's or writer's block. Since the book also claimed to unleash creativity you never even knew you had, I decided to give it a try. I guess it worked, because if you recall, up until that point I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body.

Last week at the bookstore, I was jolted to a stop when I saw a book called The Writing Diet - Write Yourself Right-Size, by none other than Julia Cameron! I usually get crazy with people who rush out and buy every silly new diet book that comes out, instead of just using common sense, but I ask you, how on earth could I pass this one up? Apparently, after about twenty years of conducting her unblocking workshops, Julia noticed that as her students uncovered their creative selves, they became so invigorated by their work that they often slimmed down.

I'm reading one chapter each day, performing the assigned tasks and allowing it all to soak in, before I go on to the next one. So far, I like what I'm reading. Cameron is using many of the same techniques that she used in her original book: writing "morning pages" every day - a stream-of-consciousness rambling which somehow manages to dig up important but buried truths; keeping a journal in which you log not only what you eat, but also all your thoughts and feelings regarding food; solo walking, not just for exercise but also as a form of meditation and exploration; asking yourself some important questions before you put anything in your mouth, so that it becomes a conscious decision; and my favorite so far, culinary artist's dates.

I loved the idea of going on dates with myself when I read her first book, and it's a guilty pleasure I've indulged in ever since. The point is to prime the pump of your creativity by taking yourself out on festive, creative adventures that expand your comfort zone, only now, instead of exploring art, book and antique shops, I'm roaming the farmer's markets, ethnic food stores, gourmet cookery shops, shelves of cookbooks and magazines, trying new foods and interesting restaurants, and losing weight while doing it!

If you equate diet with deprivation, this is probably an unsettling concept, but what I'm finding is that the more flavor and texture my food has, the less I need to eat, and that standing at my butcher's block, enjoying the feel of a good knife in my hand as I chop ingredients, and the aroma of sauteing onions and garlic wafting about me, are all essential elements to the overall pleasure and satisfaction I get from my food - a sensation you will never experience by nuking something in the microwave, or wolfing something down in the car or in front of the TV.

If you don't believe me, try this little experiment. Think about the last time you gobbled a candy bar while absorbed in your favorite TV show. Now, go out and find a specialty shop that carries Vosges chocolate bars, and select whichever one appeals most to you (my favorite is the Barcelona bar, because I love the combination of salty and sweet). Take it home with you, and wait until you are completely alone, and all is quiet, before you pull it from it's hiding place beneath your lingerie. Now, carefully follow the instructions you will find on the back of the package, taking three deep breaths as you gently stroke the chocolate with your thumb, releasing its aroma. Next, snap off a small piece and place it on your tongue, then press it to the roof of your mouth, where the heat of your tongue will cause it to slowly melt, releasing an explosion of flavor sensations. Now tell me honestly, which experience left you feeling more ... sated?

No comments: