Tuesday, February 26, 2008

TECHNOLOGICALLY CHALLENGED (7/07)

I can't believe we have made it into July with the creeks still full of water, and the daytime highs down in the 80's. That's practically unheard of around here! Of course, not everyone in the Hill Country is happy with the weather this summer. Just a few miles north of here, around Marble Falls and Lake Buchanan, they had a storm front stall out over them this past week, and it dumped about 20 inches of rain on them in just a couple of days. A lot of homes were lost, but fortunately, no lives this time. That seems to be the pattern in these parts - swinging back and forth from drought to deluge, with nary a pause in between. Good thing that storm didn't stall out over Wimberley, as we are still without a roof.

Once we had finished up with our chores and errands yesterday, we headed over to the River Pub in San Marcos to meet up with Paula and Tim, who were coming to visit just for the day. We could have spent hours on that nice shaded deck, what with the cool breezes being stirred up by overhead fans, good food and great conversation, and non-stop entertainment being provided on the river down below us, but there were a bunch of people anxiously eyeing our table, so we decided it was time to move on. The men climbed into the Sanford's car, while Paula and I headed over to John's new Toyota hybrid (can you believe he traded in his Miata for a hybrid? I'm so proud of him!) At the last minute, Paula said "Oh wait, I have a CD I want you to hear!", and she ran back to their car to get it.

Once she was back, and we were buckled in, I reached up to insert the CD. I sat there for several minutes, staring at the dashboard which, with its fancy GPS system, looked more like an airplane's cockpit than a car's. Finally I turned to Paula and said "I don't see a hole. Do you see a hole?" "Nope, I don't see a hole." We were about to give up on the CD, figuring the guys were already halfway to the cigar shop by now, when some movement in the corner of my eye caught my attention. I turned my head, and there right next to us was the Sanford's car, with two gleeful faces staring back at us, enjoying our frustration immensely. John got out and sauntered over, with an extremely irritating grin on his face, then reached in and pushed a few buttons, whereupon the GPS screen slid forward and dropped down, revealing the elusive CD slot. Turning without a word, he sauntered back to the other car, and they drove away, laughing their fool heads off. We tried to stay irritated with them, but it was completely useless. How can you be anything but happy, when you are driving along a Hill Country road with your best buddy, singing your little heart out along with Rotel and the Hot Tomatoes, as they play every single dance song that you ever loved?

That evening we tried a new Cajun restaurant called Orbergon's, over in Dripping Springs. Sometimes, when John asks me what I want for dinner, I tell him that I want something that will make me moan. Now my John, he's not really a moaner, but Paula and Tim? Well, suffice it to say, there were probably more than a few people in the restaurant who were wondering just what exactly was going on at that table over in the corner. Unlike many of the huge Cajun-themed restaurants we have been to, with their equally huge but mediocre menus, this one had a fairly simple menu, but everything we ordered was the best I had ever tasted. From our filler-less crab cakes and crawfish pie with flaky phyllo crust, to the lighter than air batter on our fried oysters and the spicy red and white remoulade sauces offered with John's grilled shrimp, and ending with the creme brulee cheesecake, miles of chocolate dessert, and Community Club coffee finale, there wasn't a disappointing morsel in the lot.

Eventually we managed to pull ourselves away from the table and say our goodbyes to the Sanfords. As we headed back home, John started chuckling to himself, then he said "You and Paula crack me up." I asked "What do you mean?" He replied "I don't know exactly. You are just so hilarious whenever you are together." Funny, I was just sitting there thinking the exact same thing about him and Tim!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Becky
You are moving right along in getting your journal on line - pretty soon you will be in "real" time! I did not know about the turkeys; humans can probably look forward to the same treatment some day. I really like the photo of the big blue barn at the flower farm - what a beauty with its arched ceiling support. We are not getting computerized equipment at our Curves, but it is available at the Briar Forest location. If we had to work hard here, we might miss out on the latest news and recipes! I went to the Urban Market on Sunday and saw Linda Klinger there. I was strong and didn't buy anything plus my husband came along to keep me in check. It was a beautiful day to be out and about. I am enjoying your blog. Jeannine

Hill Country Hippie said...

You are absolutely right Jeannine. For the first time, I'm finding it difficult to talk and exercise at the same time. And the other day, I actually perspired! So what is this Urban Market? Are you talking about one of the farmer's markets, or something else?

B.

Unknown said...

Urban Market as that thing they have twice a year on Heights Blvd.(across from the Art Car Museum) where dealers clear out their merchandise. It is open air, under tents. Linda is a regular customer - I think she got some nice fabrics for some of her projects. It was fun, but I didn't see anything I absolutely had to have - I already have way too many unfinished "projects" lying around.