Thursday, November 15, 2007

YOU KNEW HE WAS AN ENGINEER WHEN YOU MARRIED HIM


There are both good and bad points about the location of our house. One of the best things is the view. Our house sits up on the side of a hill, with the porches facing east. The property slopes down and ends in the middle of a creek. Nestled at the bottom of our basin is the Church Lady's house. I call her that because her house was originally a little white country church, which she hauled in and fixed up. She will never know how indebted I am to her, because, as my brother-in-law Bud once said, the scene I look down upon from my upper porch is "straight out of a Larry McMurtry western novel." Her house backs up to the creek, and she has a great little vegetable garden out to the side, with wild pumpkin and squash vines spilling through the fence onto the road. Her place is usually the destination of my early morning walks, and occasionally, if I am lucky, she will have hauled her little antique grocer's stand out to the side of the road, filled it with her excess produce, and attached a hand-written note that says "Help Yourself!"

One plus is that it is fairly easy to tell people how to find our house. We are located just off a main road that connects Wimberley to I-35, and as you turn into the neighborhood, we are directly in front of you, up on the side of the hill. Hard to miss. Another good thing is that although we have a good-sized creek on our property, and can enjoy the sound of it spilling over its little dams, it is located at the bottom of the hill, at the front edge of our property. Because our house is located towards the top of the hill, at the back edge of our four acres, I don't think we need to worry much about the house flooding. There will be times though, when the road into the neighborhood will be impassable, due to its low-water crossings, and we will be more or less stranded until the water level goes down. A neighbor once told us that if we were really desperate, there was actually a back way out of the neighborhood, but the road was "kind of rough". As is common with our Texas country boys, that was a gross understatement. Rough doesn't begin to describe that road. John and I decided to test our escape route one day, and let me tell you, I would have to be a lot more than nervous before I would ever attempt it again - I would have to be in absolute fear for my life. The dirt road was positively riddled with potholes - some of them large enough for a small car to get lost in. When we finally made it to the main road, I realized that I had been holding my breath the entire time, and experienced the same sense of elation I get when disembarking from a theme park attraction that my family coerced me into riding against my will.

To be continued.....

No comments: