Wednesday, May 9, 2018

THE THING THAT WILL BREAK MY HEART

In my 43 years of marriage to a traveling engineer, I've walked away from some fairly awesome homes and gardens with hardly a backward glance. You get used to it. I'm finding it extremely difficult, however, to contemplate a future where we might need to live somewhere other than here. What's funny, though, is that it's not really the house or the garden that I will miss. In fact, they have both been royal pains in the ass!

What were we thinking, buying a house with only two bedrooms, a one-person kitchen with practically no storage or counter space, a one person bathroom that Hubby and I have to share, with a tiny shower, one sink, no countertops or drawers, no walk-in closets, and no separation or privacy between the toilet and everything else? A house that has only three rooms on the main level, and which requires one to go outside to reach the two rooms on the lower level? And, gardening with deer, snakes, armadillos, raccoons, and feral hogs? Fuggitabowdit!

So, no, I won't be missing any of that if we ever have to leave. Nonetheless, there will be tears. The thing that it will surely break my heart to walk away from? It will be these windows in the trees, and the amazing things I see almost every time I walk past one. Views like this one out my bedroom window, which kept me mesmerized for most of the the morning the other day!






That very same afternoon I walked past the dining room windows and spotted a doe that must've been in labor, so there are probably at least one or two more precious fawns hidden away here now.  Is it any wonder that I can never seem to get anything crossed off of my to-do list?

 

No comments: