Monday, April 9, 2018

COLOR-MAD COSTUMES


When I climbed up into the attic recently, looking for the old Brio train set and Sesame Street playhouse I'd been saving for the grandkids, I got a great surprise. Hidden in back, behind everything else, was the beloved costume box that I thought got discarded in one of my many, many pre-move purges. Oh Happy Day! 


Since the clothes have been sealed up in a plastic crate for 20 or 30 years now, I was almost afraid to open it. However, everything was in surprisingly good shape, with no sign of bug or rodent invasion, and just needed to be aired out. There was the little pair of leather lederhosen I bought for my nephew when I was fifteen or sixteen and my Girl Scout troop went to Europe, which later got passed back to my own kids; the little green felt dragon/dinosaur outfit I made for son Austin's first trick-or-treating adventure; matching bridesmaid/flowergirl dresses Lex and I wore in sister Gus' wedding; the elephant and snake costumes Lex and Austin wore in their elementary school production of The Elephant Child; half of the Marie Antoinette Milk Maid costume I made for Lex out of draperies and leftover upholstery fabric...



and the amazing red ant costume which doesn't look like much here, but which was downright awesome when filled with three kids, some tissue paper stuffing around their middles, and a set of wobbling dealy-boppers on each head.



And, if I ever get a granddaughter, she's gonna love that pile of stuff in the chair behind the bed -- all my party clothes from the late 70's, early 80's, including my strapless MC Hammer jumpsuit!



Alas, the only thing left from the world's cutest can-can girl costume is that little pink striped hair pouf. No idea what happened to the rest. And, the headless horseman's entire costume appears to have followed his head into oblivion. So sad. But, at least I still had the world's best costume-making book, Jane Asher's Fancy Dress Book, to pass on to Alexis, so she can carry on in my place.


No comments: