Wednesday, October 11, 2017

PUNKIN CENTER BARN DANCE


Our instructions for project #2, in Junelle's "Heartwarming" class, were simply to sketch a few old barns or sheds, maybe add some pumpkins to make them seem fallish. Scrolling through my old photos, looking for barns, got me to thinkin' about a couple of barn dances we got invited to, not long after we moved here to the Hill Country.  There was this one at Montesino Ranch...





 and then there was this one, at Fischer Hall.



Fischer Hall really had that old weathered charm that Junelle's projects are all about, so I went with that.


Usually, at some point in the creation of a journal page, song lyrics pop into my head, and then become the title for the page and subsequent blog title, but that never happened here. So, just for the heck of it, I googled "barn dance songs", and guess what popped up?


Not what I would expect from David Allan Coe, best known for songs like Take This Job and Shove It, and You Never Even Called Me By My Name. Granted, it did have sort of an evil twist, despite its old timey sound. Must've been from way, way back. Anywho, as I was coming to the end of the sketch, it felt kind of blah -- like it was missing something. That's when I thought of the Harvest Moon we'd been graced with the night before.


I cannot tell you how much I love that big ol' moon, smiling down on the scene below!

 

No comments: