Monday, June 26, 2017

BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS!

I've just got waaaay too much to read right now, which means there's not much else getting done around here!


I just finished reading Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan -- the third book in his Crazy Rich Asians series -- which I just loved since it takes place in all the wonderful places we used to visit when we live in Indonesia. On the other hand, it made me kind of sad too, as it talks a lot about Singapore and how all the wonderful old shops and neighborhoods that I loved most have been torn down and replaced by skyscrapers. Just like they've been doing here in Austin, come to think of it. It's probably just as well that we never made it back to Singapore in recent years, as I would've just ended up in a major funk if everything I adored about it had disappeared. Still, the books are great.


I'm also reading The Year of Living Danishly, by Helen Russell, which I knew I had to read as soon as I saw a blurb about it in the new e-magazine Simplify. I made sure I bought my own copy, instead of getting it from the library, since I had a feeling I'd be going to town with my hi-liter on this one -- and I was right! If you've ever wondered why Denmark keeps getting voted "The Happiest Nation In The World", this is the book for you!

Then there is the audio book I'm listening to in the car -- an intriguing mystery called Celine, by Peter Heller.

On top of all that, I believe I mentioned that I had pulled out my trusty old copy of The Artist's Way, wanting to give my creative drive a kick in the arse. Unfortunately, that sort of fell by the wayside when a bozo friend (Susan Foster Khoury, I blame you!) saw my post about about all those old journals and agendas -- starting in 1970 when I was just 16 -- that I'd finally made up my mind to get rid of. She insisted that I just had to read my way through them one more time before tossing them out. Talk about falling through a wormhole!


Three have made it to the recycle bin...


only forty-odd more to go!

Obviously, there simply aren't enough hours in the day to support my reading habits, yet alone my art, food, friends and family habits! Good thing I've never required much sleep.

So tell me, what delicious books should I add to my never-ending TBR list?

No comments: