Wednesday, March 9, 2016

GRAPEY GRATITUDE


One big reason I fell in love with this property, as soon as I set eyes on it, was all the clumps of native Texas Mountain Laurel it had scattered across it. I remembered that plant from my college days at the University of Texas in Austin, and the way it infused the campus with the fragrance of grape bubblegum whenever it bloomed. They are extremely slow growers, and if I had planted them from scratch, it would have taken years and years and years for them to reach this size!


Some years are better than others. One year you get a pretty good show. The next they all get nipped in the bud by a late freeze.


But, never...


ever...


ever...


have I seen blooms as prolific as these!

2 comments:

musingegret said...

Synchronicity! Thought of you yesterday as I was driving home and spotted a laden laurel bush; I almost stopped and jumped out just to run over and smell it.....but figured the homeowners might not like to see a sniffing woman in their front yard! LOL

Hill Country Hippie said...

HaHa! I bet you wouldn't have been the first they've seen doing it!