Sunday, January 31, 2016

SIMPLY SCRUMPTIOUS SPAGHETTI SQUASH

My hubby is not a fan of squash, so I don't usually cook it here at home. That time he barfed in the kitchen trashcan, after only one bite of my Mexican squash casserole, pretty much cured me of trying to sneak it past him. Recently, however, my daughter Lex got some spaghetti squash in her CSA basket, and wasn't sure what to do with it. Once, years ago, we had both tried substituting it for spaghetti, in order to save a few calories. But only once. She did some research and came up with a recipe for Spaghetti Squash Yakisoba Style, and later reported that she and her hubby Nate (not a veggie lover) both liked it so much that they polished off every last bite.

So, when I spotted spaghetti squash on my next Bountiful Sprout offering, I ordered one. Only I got two. I gave my spare to a friend, along with the recipe. Guess what? We ALL polished off every last bite!


SPAGHETTI SQUASH YAKISOBA STYLE from Pickled Plum - Caroline Phelps
(serves 3-5 as a side dish, 2-3 as a main course) 

1 small spaghetti squash (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
1 small onion, finely chopped bite size
10 shitake or button mushrooms
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 cup coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage)
1 T. vegetable oil or other neutral oil
1 tsp. dried red chile, chopped (optional)
1 T. sesame seeds

Sauce:(mix before you begin cooking)
2 T. regular soy sauce
2 T. dark soy sauce (or more regular, if you prefer)
1/2 T. granulated sugar
salt and white pepper to taste

1) Cut spaghetti squash in half, scrape off the seeds with a spoon and microwave for 20 - 25 minutes (or bake in the oven at 400F for 40-50 minutes).

2) Use fork and scrape the flesh into strings.

3) In a large pan over high heat (med-hi on my stove) add vegetable oil and onions. Cook for three minutes or until onions are soft. Add coleslaw mix and red chile and cook for two minutes.

4) Add mushrooms and cook for another two minutes.

5) Add spaghetti squash, scallions and sauce, and mix well until the sauce has evenly coated all the vegetables. Cook two minutes and turn the heat off.

6) Transfer to a bowl, top with sesame seeds and serve.

P.S. It goes really well with a side of Crack Kale!


Have a Simply Scrumptious Sunday y'all!

No comments: