Wednesday, November 11, 2015

HUNT, TX.


I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but this art camp I can't stop yakking about is held every year in Hunt, Tx. Hunt is on the western edge of the Texas Hill Country, near Lost Maples park, with the Guadalupe River snaking back and forth across the entire area -- so beautiful, it's no wonder that it has become a mecca for sleep away camps and river lodges of all sorts.

The hub of this little community is the Hunt Store, which I have heard about since first coming here, but never been to. It's the place where all the Lady Campers run whenever their wine stash is getting low. My Wimberley friends LaNell and Susan came to camp with me this year and, as it turns out, Susan spent most of her youthful summers with an aunt who lived directly behind the old Hunt Store. One afternoon they invited me to join them for a little drive around the area. It was such a treat to finally see some of the other camps and ranches, and to hear Susan's tales from her time there as a child.  Our last stop before heading back to camp was at the Hunt Store. I was expecting nothing more than a grungy little convenience store, but what I found was the heart of the community!

The do have some groceries and alcohol, of course...

The Beer Cooler
but there's also a cafe...


a bank...


a fine dining venue, complete with white tablecloths...


and even an outdoor event venue!


Know what I liked best of all? This area here, around the fireplace.


I have a feeling that's where all the most important business in the community takes place!

If you're ever in the area, be sure and stop in. You're sure to get a warm welcome.

No comments: