Monday, July 13, 2015

ONE MORE TINY THING: ROMANO BEANS

"I think that sometimes people don't grow fresh food because they think that it is too much work. So my advice to you is to only grow a tiny thing that pleases you, and enjoy that tiny thing for all it is worth." ~ Joie De Vivre by Robert Arbor 


Years ago I found a recipe for Romano beans on the blog Orangette. It looked so yummy that I was just dying to try it, but I couldn't find Romano beans at any store or farmers' market in the area. I did, however, find a packet of seeds. So I decided to grow my own. I planted them by the front door on my only trellis, and managed to harvest one handful before the deer discovered them. That was just enough to test the recipe and realize they were every bit as delicious as they sounded! I have been pining for them ever since.

A few years ago I gave up trying to turn the Cantina Garden into a vegetable garden, and planted it with herbs, perennials and succulents instead, which reduced the deer invasions dramatically! In fact, I hadn't seen any deer damage in months, so it got me to thinkin'. What if I planted a few Romano plants in the back, hidden behind lantana and asparagus fronds -- things the deer despise? Guess what? The deer still found them. And chomped on quite a few other plants while they were at it! But, know what they didn't find? The few seeds I had stuck in the pots and windowboxes on our upstairs balcony, just as an afterthought.


And now, check it out!



Just a few more, and I will have enough for the both of us...if I don't eat them all before Hubby ever sees them. 


Romano Beans a la Orangette (one serving)

Bring pot of salted water to a boil and toss in a handful of Romano green beans, cooking until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Heat a glug (about a tablespoon?) of olive oil in a medium skillet and gently saute one clove of minced garlic. Add beans, 1-2 T. of breadcrumbs and a bit of coarse salt. Shake and toss to coat beans. Heat until warmed through and breadcrumbs are crispy.

Simple. Scrumptious.  

Oh Happy Day!

"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments: