Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A SIMPLY SCRUMPTIOUS SUMMER MEAL

One thing that has certainly changed, since moving here to the Hill Country, is that I now cook according to ingredients, rather than recipes. Back in Suburbia, I used to spend half a day planning a whole week's worth of menus and recipes, make a two page shopping list, then spend at least two hours at the grocery store, getting everything I needed for the entire week. Now, however, I pick up my basket from The Bountiful Sprout, or make a run to the farmers' market. Each day after that I think about what I have on hand, and what needs to be used up first, then plan that evening's meal accordingly. By keeping a well-stocked pantry and freezer, and having plenty of fresh herbs growing in my garden, I rarely need to pick up more than what will fit in one of my cloth shopping bags, when I'm in town running errands or exercising, which makes my life soooo much easier and more enjoyable!


What with all the anniversary shenanigans going on this past week, I hadn't done much cooking since I picked up my last order from TBS. When I did a survey of the fridge yesterday, I saw some green beans and broccoli that needed to be used up pronto. When I checked the freezer and saw that I had both frozen mini ears of corn and some chopped pecans, I knew just what to do with them all!

Unfortunately, we had already eaten most of it when it occurred to me that it would have made an excellent post for my "Simply Scrumptious" series. So, instead of getting a photo of bright, colorful veggies arrayed in my prized teak salad bowl -- a 40 year old wedding gift -- you get this photo of mushy gray leftovers. Trust me though. It tastes fantastic either way! Here's a special hint just for you: it's even better followed by sliced fresh peaches with just a dab of vanilla bean ice cream.
 
HI-FI VEGGIES (as in High Fiber)
(serves 6-8)

To make a meal, you can serve it with a good toasted bread topped with some melted cheese, or with some leftover roast chicken. Though, truthfully, it's really quite filling on its own.

6 new potatoes, in quarters
1 pkg. (8) mini frozen corn-on-cob (or fresh, if you prefer)
1 lb. green beans, in 2" pieces
1 bunch broccoli florets
1 c. sliced celery
2 c. (1 pint) halved cherry tomatoes
1 small red onion, sliced

(dressing)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup good extra virgin olive oil
3 T. chopped toasted pecans**
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Drop potatoes in boiling water. Cook 5 minutes. Add corn, cook 8 minutes more. Add beans, broccoli, celery, cook 5 minutes more. Drain veggies in colander, then turn into large bowl and let cool slightly. Add tomatoes and onions, and toss gently. Whisk remaining ingredients together for dressing then pour over warm veggies and toss again.

** To toast pecans, place in dry saute pan. Cook and stir on medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant. Do not burn!

P.S. If you are planning to cut the recipe in half, I'd only reduce the dressing ingredients by about a fourth. Half just wasn't quite enough to coat all the veggies properly.

No comments: