Saturday, May 16, 2015

AUSTIN'S MINI-MAKER-FAIRE

Today we met up with the kids in Austin for an event that was just so...well...so Austin! (although I'm sure they probably have them in other cities as well) When Lex first asked me if we wanted to go, I thought she was talking about a craft fair of some sort, where people sell stuff, but it was not that at all. Instead, it's where you go to experience things, and make some yourself. Here is a very small sampling of those experiences:

You could ride a bat bike...


or a, well, I'm not sure what this is, but it looks fun!


You could see a 3-D printer in action...


or a MakerBot Replicator.


You could learn how to build your own Tiny House...


build something from Legos...


try your hand at felting, spinning, or screen printing...


or even fly a drone!



There were robots to play with, all kinds of fun summer camps to sign up for, and even some pretty cool stuff to buy, such as neat little electronic kits, and these wonderful True Beauty dolls, which started out as those garish Bratz dolls, but were refurbished to look more like actual little girls. I love them so much!


Last, but certainly not least, there was this:


I finally got to try me some Kimchi Fries and Bulgogi Tacos, and they were goooood!


All I can say is, why didn't they have one of these maker faires when my kids were younger! If you missed it today, live anywhere in the Austin area, and have a kid, or one you can borrow, you really need to head over the Palmer Event Center tomorrow to check it out for yourself. If you do, be sure to say hi to our Alexis, who should be volunteering somewhere in the fiber arts section.

P.S. Won't be able to blog for the next few days, but never fear. I'll be back!

No comments: