Friday, May 9, 2014

OOOMMMMMM


I keep thinking that I really oughtta give the infamous (locally) Helen Stutchbury's yoga classes a try. Everyone raves about them, they're geared towards the 50+ crowd, they're dirt cheap (only $3/class!), and they have a fantastic new studio in the revamped sanctuary of the old Baptist church, right at the entrance to Blue Hole Park. And, if that isn't enough, they are even beginning to do fun stuff as a group, like making videos, and organizing trips -- to San Miguel de Allende!!!

The only thing that's holding me back is time. I'm already struggling to balance doing workouts at Curves as often as I should, doing my morning pages and continuing to write good blog posts, meeting up with the Muses once a week, having my Friday Adventure Days with Hubby, making time for art every day, having time to read every day, and now, finding time for a long walk every day, so that I can reach my 10,000 steps per day goal. (notice I didn't even include housework and gardening in my top priorities) How on earth would I squeeze in a couple of yoga classes per week, on top of everything else?

But! Then I remembered a conversation I overheard the other day. They said the owner of our Curves franchise has been looking for a buyer, so she can retire and move to Panama or someplace exotic. Basically, I go to Curves to ensure that muscles in all parts of my body are being strengthened, and to maintain my sense of balance for as long as possible. Doesn't yoga achieve those same goals?  Then why would I need both? I do feel a sense of loyalty to the current owner, and do not wish to pull my membership on her. But, if she ever did decide to chuck it all and head off to parts unknown? Well, then, that would be the perfect time for me to segue into a new yoga practice, now wouldn't it? Plus, by that time, I should be at least 20 lbs. lighter than I was when I last took a stab at yoga, with all those young, Gumby-like gals. Maybe I won't hate it quite so much if I'm with people my own age, and if my legs, though still too short, are just a wee bit less chunky.
 

2 comments:

LaNell said...

If you decide to come to Yoga with Helen, you won't regret it. I target two days a week at least and love it. She does focus on strength and balance. She also gives you good healthy tips. I wish I was going on the retreat but will be just returning from a trip to Ky for a stamping convention with my art buddies. Happy Mother's Day!

Hill Country Hippie said...

A trip to San Miguel de Allende is just about the only thing on my Bucket List, and it's been there for at least 10 or 15 years, ever since reading "On Mexican Time". I just found out about that retreat a couple of days ago, struggled for about 24 hours with whether we should go, finally said "JUST DO IT!", only to find out it was totally booked up. WAAAHHH! They did tell me, however, that the hotel owner has bought another house right behind the original hotel, and if she thinks it will be ready by August, there's a chance we might still get to go. Please, please, please....Have a great time at your stamping convention!