Monday, March 3, 2014

CHARLEY'S AUNT 2.0


The most recent production at our own little Wimberley Community Theatre was a play called Charley's Aunt. It was written in the late 1800's and was later made into a film starring Jack Benny. It's one of those farces where someone is coerced into impersonating someone else, and lie piles upon lie until the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. In the end, of course, everyone lives happily ever after. This happens to be the very same play my high school put on back when I was involved in the theatre department.


I was charged with the responsibility of making a black Victorian costume with leg-o-mutton sleeves - the kind of dress an aged chaperone might wear...


but which would actually be worn by this cute young fellow, over a full set of clothes, and must be capable of being torn off quickly. I don't remember much about the play, but I certainly remember the day he dropped by my house so that this extremely introverted young girl could take his measurements!

Anyhoo, I wasn't really planning to go see the Wimberley production, as I didn't want anything to infringe upon my memories of The Perfect Play. But then I saw this in the local newspaper.


Apparently director Tracy Arnold decided to position the play in the early 1920's, rather than in 1892. And, since I have a "speakeasy" themed wedding to attend this fall, and will be needing a 20's era costume myself, I decided perhaps we should go soak up some inspiration.


Many of the costumes were obviously replicas, whipped up by the theatre's own seamstresses. There were a couple, however, such as this one "discovered on the very last hanger" of the theatre's own costume closet, that smacked of authenticity!

Hmmmm, wonder if they ever "rent out" any of the costumes in their collection?

No comments: