Monday, January 27, 2014

IF YOU'VE EVER WISHED YOU COULD DRAW...

One of the first on-line classes I ever took was one called Color Love, taught by Joanne Sharpe. I was drawn to it because the woman was so obviously color-mad, with projects such as this...


and this...


and this.


After two consecutive classes with Joanne, I branched off in different directions, sampling lots of different "flavors." Just recently, however, I started noticing some exciting stuff being posted by my fellow art journalists -- stuff that just screamed Joanne Sharpe. So I decided to pop over to her website, Whimspirations, to see what I'd been missing. Within minutes I was signed up for her class "Draw Your Awesome Life", which I'm convinced could make anyone more conscious of all those amazing little things that are scattered throughout our days, but which can be easily missed if you aren't paying attention. I'm hoping it will also help make daily sketching so much a part of my routine that it's almost like brushing my teeth! Here are the two projects I've completed so far.



So here's what I'm thinking. If you've ever wanted to take an art class, but were afraid to do it because you "can barely draw stick figures", well, I'm thinkin' this is the class for you! Joanne is so good at breaking it down into manageable little steps that anyone can follow. For instance, when she told us to draw a teacup in that first project, which is the cover page in the little art diary we are creating, she said "Draw a 'U', now add an almond shape at the top of it." Believe me, you can do this!

I'm already having so much fun with this, it's pretty much a given that I will be signing up for the follow-up class which just opened a couple of weeks ago -- "2014: Draw Your Awesome Year." And who knows? I may even look into that "Whimsical Women Art Retreat" in Costa Rica!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, Joanne was in Oklahoma City this past weekend!! I took all four of her delicious classes and cannot stop drawing and coloring! She is fantastic in person and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to experience her brand of teaching. I'm signed up now for Draw Your Year and can't wait to get started/continue!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hmmm...wonder if she's coming to Texas!

LaNell said...

Let us get her to come! I don't see her coming in 2014. :(
What type of journal are you using for this class. I have taken several of her classes. I think I liked her Color Love best. All of her classes are great quality. Love your work. Hope to get to meet you sometime in our little village.

Hill Country Hippie said...

She uses a little 5x5 square "Handbook" brand sketchbook, but Hobby Lobby didn't have those, so I bought something else. Anything would work as long as it can take a bit of light watercolor without the pages wrinkling up too bad. I would be happy to meet up with you in town sometime.

Anonymous said...

looks like immense fun. she is a colorful person that's for sure. Love your spread with the flowing hair...xox

Hill Country Hippie said...

I love her too Corrine! She was one of the first projects I ever completed that felt like it was more mine than my instructor's.