Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WHAT ARE YOU READING?


Know how I'm always yakkin' about how great our little library here is? Well, now there's even more to love. Our recently acquired Young Adult librarian is my new best friend, happy to come visit and make suggestions whenever she sees someone browsing her section. As if that weren't enough, our library has an anonymous donor who has been making certain she has the funds to keep the Young Adult section well stocked. Between that and the fantastic "Book Club" section (with a half dozen or so copies each of all the latest book club favorites), I never fail to come home with an armload of juicy possibilities!

I don't know about you, but I've been seeing lots of lists popping up on-line -- lists with titles that say something like "100 Best Whatevers of 2013." Many have referred to books, and it got me to thinkin' about all the wonderful books I have read this past year. That, combined with the book I am reading right now -- that one on top of the pile up there -- made me want to start keeping better tabs on what I have read, get better about sharing them with others, and maybe get some bookie conversations going. So, of course, I had to make a list. Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with anywhere close to 100 (one reason I need to keep better tabs), but here are a few of my favorites, in no particular order other than that which they popped into my head:

  • Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman
  • Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan
  • The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green
  • The Divergent Series, by Veronica Roth
  • The Legend Series, by Marie Lu
  • The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
  • Antonia And Her Daughters -- and everything else written by Marlena de Blasi
  • Eleanor And Park, by Rainbow Rowell
  • The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
  • Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
  • Flight Behavior, by Barbara Kingsolver
  • State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett
  • Eragon, by Christopher Paolini
  • The Delirium Series, by Lauren Oliver
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs
  • The Maisie Dobbs mystery series, by Jacqueline Winspear
  • 12-21, by Dustin Thomason
  • People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks
I'm sure I've forgotten some of the best, so you might want to check this list again later, as I will probably be adding to it.  Coming up? Well, I'm counting the days until the next Sarah Addison Allen book, Lost Lake, is released!

So what about you? What wondrous worlds did you lose yourself in this year?

No comments: