Thursday, November 7, 2013

HUBBY'S LATEST ADVENTURE

Well, we're off on another one of Hubby's Big Adventures. Not too far from home, just to Austin, but he did all the planning himself, from booking the hotel to making dinner reservations -- and he's keeping it all a surprise this time!


We are staying here, at Hotel Ella. Pretty cool place, and just a couple of blocks from campus. They have a very strange statue out front.


The original old house is the main building, with restaurant and bar downstairs, and a ballroom upstairs for weddings and events. Love the wrap-around veranda.


The rooms and pool area are back behind the big house.


Dinner last night was here:



Lenoir is a French restaurant that I'd read about in Edible Austin a long time ago, stuck the name under a magnet on my refrigerator door, then promptly forgot about. I love, love, loved the atmosphere -- especially sitting up at the communal bar and chatting with the people around us. The food, though, wasn't quite what I was expecting. In fact, I'm not even sure you could call it French. I think they probably use French techniques, but they like to play fast and loose with the ingredients.


This freshly made naan with a green tomato chutney was delish.


This was a sweet potato-stuffed pasta with crumbled amaretti and little marshmallow meringues, which was kind of sweet for a main course, but I adored the crunchy kale with browned butter sauce that came with it.


John loved his goat schwarma served on a mint marigold crepe.


This Napoleon I had for dessert had a ricotta and roquefort filling, which wasn't sweet at all. Maybe I should have had it as my main course and the sweet pasta for dessert! Anyhoo, I loved it that they had a prix fixe menu that was based on local ingredients and changed weekly, but I probably wouldn't go there unless you are an adventurous eater.

Afterwards we came back to the hotel bar for a beer/hot tea and some people watching, then headed back to our room and found one of these on each nightstand.


Don't you just love a hotel that leaves goodies on your nightstand?

No comments: