Wednesday, October 23, 2013

ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES


I've got a background, of sorts, ready to go in one of my journals, but no idea where I want to go with it. No, that's not true. I've got ideas. Too many, in fact!


It's sort of dark and watery-looking in some places, while this area above made me think of a weeping tree with cascading white blossoms. The first thing that came to mind was one of Monet's lily ponds, so I thought about adding some lily pads and a little arched bridge, using Jane Lafazio's transparent overlay technique.


But then I spotted a sweet little lamb or goat hiding in this section here, with droopy ears and a cute pink nose. Perhaps I was meant to play around some more with Juliette Crane's whimsical animals?

On the other hand, I've been flipping through my stack of art journaling magazines, and have earmarked at least a dozen pages with new-to-me techniques that I'd really like to try. On top of that, there are multiple projects in each of the on-line classes I have taken this year, which I never even got around to, and could possibly use this background for. One of my favorite instructors, Junelle Jacobsen, just opened up a new class that was positively oozing with my kind of fall and holiday goodness, and I came THIS close to signing up for it. But then a little voice screamed "Stop! No! You still haven't finished half the projects from her summer class!" And you know what? It got me to thinkin'.

When I was a kid, I had this "Stuff-To-Do" cigar box. I had filled it with a dozen or two folded strips of paper, on which I had scribbled every fun activity I could think of. Things like "Put on a Circus and Make Neighbors Pay to Attend" or "Write a Play and Make Neighbors Pay to Watch" or "Filch all Mom's Cups and Kool-Aid and Make Neighbors Pay to Drink."  Whenever my pals and/or I fell into a state of ennui, I'd reach for that box and pull out a slip of paper.

So here's what I'm thinking. Maybe I need another cigar box. An "Art-Stuff-To-Do" box. Whenever I see something I'd like to try -- an interesting technique, a certain color palette, or even just some kind of art supply or tool that I've been neglecting -- I could write it down and drop it into that box. Then, as soon as I start feeling that art-itch and have a little window of time, but no specific project in mind, all I'd have to do is reach into the magic box. Makes me go all tingly just thinking about what I might pull out -- exactly the way I felt as a kid!

No comments: