Sunday, September 1, 2013

TIME TRAVEL DOES EXIST

My hubby sure knows how to show a girl a good time. Last night he took me on one of our best dates ever! It started out here, in Austin, at Elizabeth Street Cafe.


Elizabeth St. is a French-Vietnamese cafe and boulangerie, with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients. For starters we shared an order of their pork belly buns.


  Next, John had a Vietnamese soup that he just loved...


while I chowed down on an amazing Ban Mi sandwich filled with pate!


Dessert include two chocolatey French delights -- a bouchon, and an eclaire. I chose the classic French eclaire, with cream filling and dark chocolate ganache, but there was also a Nutella version available.


I just loved the little sarong-like wrap dresses and soft-soled shoes that all of the waitresses wore, each one in a different floral fabric.


From there we headed over to the Student Union building on the UT campus, where I happened to work my last two years of college.


First, I worked at their little General Store, which has been replaced by a food court filled with Starbucks and Wendys and such.


Then, when that area of the building underwent a renovation, they moved me to the information desk. One result of that renovation, thanks to that whole "we're old enough to go to Viet Nam and fight for our country, but not to vote or drink?" debate, and the temporary lowering of the legal drinking age to eighteen, was the Cactus Cafe -- a bar and music venue, right there in the Student Union building!


So, how do I know that time travel is actually possible? Because, when we first entered that room, we were all a bunch of greying 50- and 60-somethings. But once those lights went down, and Shawn Phillips started singing, well, something magical happened. Suddenly it was 1973 again, and we were all 19 or 20 year old college students, seeing Shawn for the very first time!


If anything, I think Shawn and I have both improved with age.  Here's one of my favorite songs from back in the day.

No comments: