Monday, August 5, 2013

COLOR MAD CRAYONS

Color Mad Monday is dedicated to things that make my heart go pitter-patter.  Sometimes it's found in the garden. Sometimes it's a grouping of glassware or pottery. Sometimes it's textiles. Always, it's about color. Believe it or not, certain color combos can make me go weak in the knees. Like this one.


 I like my colors hot and spicy, bordering on lurid. I don't do timid and pastel.

Art supplies definitely make my heart go pitter-patter!


Are those gorgeous, or what? That's my collection of Caran D'Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels (not to be confused with the Neocolor I, which is not water-soluble). These are what I used to "paint" the picture above, and they are perfect for the person who has always been afraid to try watercolors, because they are so much easier to control. They are kind of expensive, being Swiss made and all, so I started out with a simple set of ten.

When we were going to Houston every few months, to visit one of John's doctors, there was a great art supply store that carried these crayons individually, so I would add a few more colors each time I went. Too bad he doesn't go to that doctor anymore. The good news is that, when I was in Dallas last week, I made a quick stop at Asel Art Supply before heading out of town. Guess what they carry?


Yes, I know, it probably would have been much cheaper to just buy a larger set to start with. However, it would have hurt a whole lot more, and the pleasure wouldn't have lasted nearly as long, now would it?

6 comments:

Anna said...

Which art store was it? We are heading to Houston this weekend.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Anna, it's Texas Art Supply. We go to the one down on Montrose, but I think they also have stores on S. Voss and at Baybrook Mall. The one on Montrose is fabulous. I've never seen a "serious" art supply place that carried that much in the way of art journaling type supplies, plus they have a tremendous book section as well.
http://www.texasart.com/help/index_store_locations.cfm

Anonymous said...

Totally understand your joy at buying them a few at a time ... I got mine on line, and now have found a shop locally that carries them, so plan to visit after my holidays to start expanding my collection!!!

Kristie said...

I so agree with some color combos making you weak in the knees! NeoColor II are simply amazing to work with. I've started with that same little tin, an a few more singles all the time. You're right - it stretches out the joy of adding to the collection. My problem is remembering which ones I already have, as I stand in front of that wonderful display!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ha! The first time I found them sold individually, that's exactly what happened to me. I had no clue which ones I already had, and ended up with several duplicates. I really need to make a list, and keep it in my purse at all times. "Be Prepared", right?

Unknown said...

Love the dresses, they look beautiful. Also love the watercolor crayons, I didn't even know they came in that format.
Blessings
Diane