Tuesday, June 4, 2013

HUBBY'S PIECE DE RESISTANCE


My Hunny and I had a great day Sunday. It started with seeing a fun little movie, Now You See Me, which we both enjoyed. From there we went to have lunch at the new Thai fusion restaurant that's causing all the buzz in Austin right now. Have you heard about Sway? From the same ladies who brought us La Condessa?


To this team, there is no such thing as a trivial detail -- not even the straws in the tea glasses.


I adore their big communal tables.


Next time, however, I want to try sitting at the counter. I love watching a well-choreographed kitchen ballet!


Everything we ordered was delish -- especially that Salt & Pepper Calamari!

Calamari and Spring Rolls
Stir-Fry with Chicken and Pears
The only problem was that, with there being only two of us, we just couldn't order enough. This is definitely the kind of place where you need to go with a few others, so you can dine family style, sharing lots of dishes.

The cover on this little altar's base looks like it was either hand-knitted or crocheted! 
As wonderful as all that was, it was not the highlight of the day. No, the pinnacle came when we headed over to the Blanton Museum, and were walking along the sidewalk outside. I noticed an orange blob in the grass out of the corner of my eye, but was busy yakking, so paid it no mind. My hunny, however, zeroed right in on it. He reached down to grab it, saying "Hey! This looks like something you could use in one of your art projects!"


Turns out someone had dropped a Papel Picado, which would make a great stencil. Only this one wasn't made out of cut paper, it was some kind of plastic or vinyl. So, not only is it perfect for some inky spray play, I'll be able to use it over and over again! Has my hubby got a well-trained eye, or what?!!!

2 comments:

The Curious Holts said...

Oh YUM, I have not heard of Sway, but am gonna go pronto! It looks wonderful.

Fantastic eye your man has!!! Love that mat so much.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I trained him by taking him with me on a foraging mission at the dollar store. I told him I was looking for anything with an interesting texture that you could "stamp" onto a journal page, or an open pattern that you could stencil through, like doilies and such. That time he found me the cutest tiny eraser shaped like a flip flop, that I use to stamp footprints across a page. As for that placemat in your favorite color of orange, it turns out they had them for sale in the Blanton gift shop, and they were cheap -- like $2.00!