Saturday, May 18, 2013

THE LONG CENTER: KEEPING AUSTIN WEIRD

We had quite the evening last night! One day last week my Hubby, a man of many surprises, walked up to me saying "Hope you don't have any plans for next Friday", and handed me tickets to this:


Believe you me, they were every bit as hilarious live as they were on Drew Carey's Whose Line Is It, if not more so. I thought poor Hubby was gonna bust a gusset!


But wait, there's more! We somehow managed to get to the theater almost an hour early, so we got a drink, then moseyed out onto the balcony to enjoy the view. That's when we noticed this interesting group of people gathering on the terrace below.


Judging from their attire, and all the stretching they were doing, I assumed it was a yoga or pilates group, with a rather unusual classroom. But then a girl walked over to one of the decorative banners hanging around the terrace perimeter, unknotted it, and started doing this.


Once she had climbed about halfway up, she started doing stuff like this...


and this!

Soon there were people hanging from every banner. We were having so much fun watching them, we almost hated to go in!



Believe it or not, they were still at it when we came out of the show around 9:30, only it was dark then, and they had added eerie mists and exotic lighting. Well, as it turns out, they were rehearsing for this:


Hmmmm. That just might be worth going back for, no?

3 comments:

PLane said...

My boss's partner does that kind of "ribbon dancing"--I know there's an official name for it and I'm pretty sure that's NOT it. Anyway, I'm going to forward the link to this post to him.

PLane said...

My boss' partner is a dancer and I recently learned that he does this style of "ribbon dance." (I'm pretty sure that's not the correct term.) I'm forwarding this to Tim because I'm sure they'll find it interesting.

Hill Country Hippie said...

What's scary is that there are no nets or safety harnesses. If they slip up, they go splat on hard concrete!