Thursday, May 30, 2013

A DOOZY OF A HOSTESS GIFT

Let me start off by saying, I just don't believe that sisters and best friends need to bring each other hostess gifts each time they visit one another. To me, it's a joy to have them, not an imposition, so why would I need a bribe? Unfortunately, I have never been able to convince my older sisters of that. I guess it was one of those "Mom" things that was drilled into the first daughter, hammered into the second, but then just sort of washed over me, the third, and missed little brother all together. Mom was gettin' pretty worn out by the time he came along.  One thing I do remember her telling me, though, was that it was downright rude not to accept a gift graciously, so I guess I'll just have to soldier on, no matter how much it pains me to receive gifts such as the one Middle Sister Gus brought me last week.


The first thing my sister did when she retired last year was take a sewing class. Ever since, she's been a whirling dervish at her machine, cranking out those darling "origami" tote bags that she gave everyone for Christmas. Her latest project was the bag you see here.

 
With all its great little pockets, both inside and out, she thought it would be the perfect travel tote for carrying art supplies to Play Days with the Muses, to Art Camp next fall, or to do a little travel sketching. But did she just tell me that was its purpose? Why no, of course not! She went and filled it with a travel sized sketchbook, Neocolor Crayons, watercolors, oil pastels...


and best of all, a set of these Pitt markers -- the very ones my instructor recommended for making those envelope flowers I showed you yesterday, and which I had none of!


Is that a doozy of a hostess gift, or what?

Note to SIL Priscilla, who I'm fixin' to go visit: Don't get your hopes up. I still don't believe in sisters having to hostess gift sisters. ; - )

4 comments:

Sue M said...

Lucky you - wish I had a sister like that!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I am very lucky Sue -- two great sisters, and two great sister-in-laws, not to mention my little brother Twit!

Shelly said...

Whoaaaaaa! That was some gift! (And here is where I stop making so many comments all at once before you think me a stalker. HAHA!)

Hill Country Hippie said...

Haha, too funny Shelly! Besides, I started stalking you first!